Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice please on route to Mimizan / a free CPL/IR in France

Any advice please for a route from England to Mimizan in south west France? Outbound UK would be DVR and then to first customs airfield with Avgas. Duration from DVR around 3 hours or 350 miles. Total duration with full tanks is around 500 miles. I had thought of Le Touquet to clear customs as it is then done until returning. So any tips suggestions, routes etc. welcomed please. Thanks.

UK, United Kingdom

Not much to say, for lack of personal experience. But for what I read here and elsewhere, what could be wrong with a stop at Le Touquet then direct Mimizan? I do have been at Mimizan a/d, though driving not flying. People were nice enough but the place looked a bit forlorn, with perhaps a clubhouse cum bar but not much more. No big or even medium size city near, either. ISTR the typical French Total Avgas pump, though; but otherwise I hope you have some local acquaintance to get you around the local countryside.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Mimizan is on the west coast.

One could fly via LFAT but then you have to go all the way across to the west, but this gives you a short sea crossing.

Or one could go via Caen LFRK. This VFR trip was fairly similar.

There are several French charts that can be used. I personally use the 1:1M SIA ones, available from the SIA online shop here, under Charts (the "VFR Folder" product).

A chart is a chart... plan a route outside CAS, same as in the UK. France is basically easy. There is a lot of military airspace, and you need the booklet which comes with the chart to see the active times etc. But a lot of it is very low down (below 2000ft) so it's not an issue in most of France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I went on surfing holiday about 15 years ago in that part of the world. Great beaches, amazing surf. Just wish I was better at surfing!

As and when I get organised, I'd love to do a trip down there. I didn't realise Biscarosse had an airfield until not long ago. That's quite exciting - and a whole heap better than driving down there (especially when you had driving standards like one of the mates I went with. I visually aged just getting to the ferry in Portsmouth!)

Just planned a rough route: Shoreham (EGKA) -> Biscarosse (LFBS)

488 statute miles. This is quietly shaping up into a plan :o) (although I have more practising to do first!)

Clearing Customs at Cherbourg is certainly a good plan - a very sleepy airport which you will pass through in minutes if not seconds

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Whats the deal with customs? Whenever I have landed at any of the French airports (a few of which mentioned already in this thread), I have never met anyone from customs, and only once had my passport checked as I left.

It's never worried me too much as I have only ever flown in, and then back out to the UK the same day. I have never gone on to onto anywhere else in France. Had I been going on elsewhere then I would insist on seeing the customs person.

No need to insist.

You pass through the airport, so it's up to customs to decide if they want to check you or not.

Often there is no customs officer present on the airport. But becuase you notified them (or they are supposed to be there while the airport is open) it's up to them to check if they wish to.

I've only once been checked by customs (which ironically was when I tried to return to airside!).

I'd keep the landing charges receipt as evidence of having used it for entry until you leave the country but that is just for handyness sake. If needed the ATC logs would be able to show that you landed there.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I am trying to avoid the hassle of Biarritz so I thought that I would try Mimizan instead.

Has anyone flown into Mimizan LFCZ recently, any difficulties etc, were the locals friendly?

Thank you.

It is a place t o which I fly regularly because of business connection in the town. Be aware that in the holiday season the population goes from abot 5000 people to 120000 people. The airfield is very laid back and friendly so you should have no troubles at all. You MUST talk with the military controllers who I have found to be very accomodating. Just be aware that nearly everywhere need a fuel card and not a credit card.
Here is the route I take:
from home in East Anglia
CPT COMPTON
EAS SOUTHAMPTON
MP
KOKOS
LFRN
LFRS
LFBD
ENSAC
LFCZ

Hope this helps