Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerial Archaeology

I photographed what I thought was an ice age geological feature.near a mountain.
I emailed it to a Geology institution, asking what it was
. They thought it was archaeological. I contacted an Archaeological institution.
After ground investigation, they asked me not to publicise it.
I agreed, saying I was as or more embarrassed as they were.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

An Englishman once told me:

You’re from Canada, where 100 years is “old”. This is England – where 100 miles is “far”. He’s right. So, in Canada archaeology is not so easy…

But, I did!

I noticed this while touring in the very far north of Labrador. I knew it was man made, but it was literally a hundred miles from any settlement. After some research, I was told it was an ancient Inuit settlement, which would be thousands of years old.

This is me beached on the shore across the lake from the Inuit settlement, but the shore at the settlement was too rocky to take the plane (and that remote lake would be a really bad place to punch a hole in the hull!) I considered swimming across, but that water is cold, I was entirely a long way from any help, and I could not have taken the camera, so I appreciated it from across the lake.

Otherwise, and more commonly, there are a number of abandoned railway lines which crisscross the land in my area, and even though farm fields have now plowed them under, the route is still decernable, and it’s interesting!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

I read in my grandparents house in Normandy a book of airborne Archaeology. It was an association (non-profit group) who flew methodically over all the ‘Eure’ department in aeroclub Robins to look for ancient sites and the book gathered their results. Plenty of roman and gallic sites !!
Map of ‘Eure’ :

Taking good photos of ground sites in a Robin is hard. I can’t imagine how much fuel they burnt and how many sick bags they filled

LFOU, France

But Peter made a lot of hours of video from cross country flying all over Europe.

Maybe there’s someone who could add (part of) his lifetime to review these and search for any anomaly?

Germany

Problem is that 90% + of the footage is edited out. And I don’t keep the originals, because they are huge. The trip to Kastelorizo was something like 1000GB.

Taking good photos of ground sites in a Robin is hard

Is there a reason? I get reasonable ones out of my TB20 – obviously at an angle; can’t look straight down. The main thing is decent windows with no damage and not much curvature in the lower portion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pilot_DAR wrote:

Otherwise, and more commonly, there are a number of abandoned railway lines which crisscross the land in my area, and even though farm fields have now plowed them under, the route is still decernable, and it’s interesting!

It’s hardly archeological, although it might be some day, but I found it interesting that the bed of original transcontinental railroad can be seen easily in the US.
In many places the rails are long gone, bypassed due to rerouting across what were once formidable obstacles. A good example is the route on the east side of Promontory, Utah where the east and west sides originally met. Nowadays the route goes right across the Salt Lake instead. There’s a tiny town near Promontory called Corinne, just one bar left, which was once a bustling place that specialized in shall we say “servicing” the railroad workers and the like… not what one necessarily associates with Utah

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jun 15:38
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message