Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aerial photography illegal - Yes/No, country AIP?

Someone pointed to me that I should remove one social media picture of final approach to Toussus Runway25 (with a portion of Villacoublay runway on it), I know that taking pictures of sensitive places could get one in troubles but I wonder where such information is available to pilots?

I could dig relevant law text but I can’t find any entry on this in AIP, anyone knows if there is a similar list of places to avoid in other countries?

Obviously, don’t take & share pictures is a good policy

https://www.data.gouv.fr/en/datasets/zones-interdites-a-la-prise-de-vue-aerienne-1/

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/donnees/zones-interdites-a-la-prise-de-vue-aerienne

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000041459817?r=A3B9F6Hq5L

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This is highly country specific and I doubt you’ll find anything in the AIP as it’s not part of aviation law.

Yes I agree it’s highly country specific and one has to dig national law to find a reference, the French restriction seems to be “Aviation Specific” as the law states “pictures while flying” and they are vissible in IGN VFR map (sort of Sectional Chart), it’s just not in the AIP as such

There is also what constitutes “arial photography”? when flying over sensitive places in Morroco the guideline was “No Professional Camera”, “No GoPro attached” (these need permit) but “iPhone is ok”

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Sep 08:16

Who complained? Was it an official body, or someone on a forum?

There is a general prohibition on aerial photography in ICAO, AFAIK. Historically it always was a sensitive area.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

or someone on a forum?

Just online from someone with “Mil title under his FB profile”, I had the impression they are busy defending the country rather than scrolling GA private pilots online posts

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Sep 08:35

In Norway to do photography from the air requires a license from the military. It’s only given to Norwegians, as a general rule. But, passengers on an aircraft can take pictures when the aircraft follows it’s route. I don’t know of anybody who cares less for private use, route or no route. But coming to Norway, taking pictures for a magazine for instance, with no license, is clearly illegal (as well as very easy to track down, but I guess not very easy to prosecute unless caught in action )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

In Norway to do photography from the air requires a license from the military. It’s only given to Norwegians, as a general rule. But, passengers on an aircraft can take pictures when the aircraft follows it’s route.

That was the rule in Sweden, too, until some 30 years ago. These days there are no specific bans on aerial photography. (E.g. photographing some military installations are always banned, regardless if it is done from the air or on the ground.) Publishing your pictures is another matter. That will generally need a permit although there are several exemptions.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Sep 05:56
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Given that Europe is a miniscule % of the earth’s surface area, I think aerial photography is banned almost everywhere

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Given that Europe is a miniscule % of the earth’s surface area,

This is Euro GA, isn’t it?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Sep 06:47
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Geoportail is an amazing resource but I had no idea this was on it. It’s like having flashing lights saying “interesting stuff going on here”. Around here (Nice) the only one is Mont Agel, north of Monaco. Not obvious why, maybe because apparently it’s Prince Rainier’s summer palace.

The huge military base at Canjuers has just one tiny zone. When I showed it to my wife she said “oh, that must be where they keep the nuclear bombs”.

The thing is, practically nobody knows about this stuff – so nobody knows to respect it. I’m very impressed that the OP managed to dig it out.

LFMD, France
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message