Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft Spruce USA vs. Europe: shocking price difference

I had a half-polished C140 in the US. We polished with nuvite.

That’s one job I don’t miss. A solid 8 hours of work every few weeks to polish just half of a very small aircraft! Those polished DC-3 Dakotas you see at OSH must need an army of polishers.

Andreas IOM
I had a half-polished C140 in the US. We polished with nuvite.

That’s one job I don’t miss. A solid 8 hours of work every few weeks to polish just half of a very small aircraft! Those polished DC-3 Dakotas you see at OSH must need an army of polishers.

It’s a lot of work, but there is no need to polish more often than each year. It will become dulled down of course, but that does no harm other the looks. Then, a couple of days each winter, and it’s good to go.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

A friend comments, “everybody owns one polished plane” (i.e. nobody buys a second!)

Once a year is OK, but I’d say 13 hrs assuming the wings are painted… There’s more surface area than the casual observer would believe.

I came across this thread while googling for places to buy AN17 bolts…

I do buy a fair amount from aircraftspruce.eu, but mainly in smaller orders. In my experience they tend to be a little more expensive per unit than some other places, but the shipping makes the difference. For bigger orders I always buy elsewhere because they can’t compete.

However sometimes I have no idea what their pricing strategy is. This evening for example: I ordered several sizes of AN17 bolts, AN960 washers, MS21059 anchors nuts, and CCR264 rivets, from LAS… the aircraftspruce.eu price for just one size of AN17 bolt, excluding shipping, was more expensive than the entire order from LAS plus shipping to Germany.

EDHS, Germany

Maybe they are getting greedy?

I believe Sandelving do consolidated shipping from Aircraft Spruce i.e. they bundle up orders for say a week and then get it all shipped on one big box, which with today’s crazy courier prices is a lot cheaper. And if they use air freight then they must do that; no way to ship anything small that way.

Incidentally Sandelving is not the first outfit to be reselling Spruce parts. LAS also used to do it, or still do it, but they always show it as “non stock”.

I use mostly LAS as the first choice, but many common parts they don’t carry so I use Saywell in Worthing, UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message