Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fast(ish) multirole 4 seaters..

How would people who know something about Bonanzas respond to the following…

1930s style upright seating and generally funny ergonomics
Limited head room due to curved roof line
Expensive parts prices
Often discussed yaw issues on V-tailed planes
Continental engine versus Lycoming

Those would be in my mind if I were looking at a Bonanza. A friend just bought a really nice one from the mid-60s, and his response was that not all pilots look like an Orangutan

Well I could say..never had issues with ergonomics. My Mooney was not appreciated by most pax. They all felt claustrophobic. About the seats mine can recline and if you prefer F16 position it’s possible, even to recline the back seats almost flat. All pax appreciate the business like seats in the back.
Yaw no problems, if you know how to dance with your feet in turbulence. If you can’t then a limited remedy is to block the movement with both feet..I never thought when I purchased mine I would get so attached too it. Never had that with any other aircraft. It’s iconic, stylish and classy..it’s an aviators aircraft. Cost of parts..well..they don’t brake as often as other brands if you maintain them..Most of the above have been hundreds of times discussed on various fora..;-).
This is me five years ago..since then tip tanks..ehsi, new speed slope etc..

Last Edited by Vref at 17 Mar 18:00
EBST

If you enter

bonanza

into the Search box, you get plenty of reading. This is a good one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bonanza, then I’m thinking about this

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Sitting in a Bonanza, I would have prerferred my legs being 20cm shorter. As a owner, I would re-position the pilot’s seat 15-20cm further back. I agree to the classic look and the owners are unanimously very happy with the flight characteristics. However, if I enter a Cessna, I have the impression to enter a worn out 60s Chevrolet. A PA 28 is more plush, otherwise very similar. By contrast, the Bonanza feels like a worn out 60s Cadillac. This may sound pathetic, maybe it is just too much airplane for my liking.

How does an older Mooney compares to the Bonanzas? Required Runway length? How long can they fly at 75% with 2 POB 200kg and 40kg luggage? Are there any MOGAS STC?

Last Edited by a_kraut at 17 Mar 21:41
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Silvaire wrote:

1930s style upright seating and generally funny ergonomics
Limited head room due to curved roof line
Expensive parts prices
Often discussed yaw issues on V-tailed planes
Continental engine versus Lycoming

You can change the seats, the later ones are fully adjustable.
Not an issue for those of us who are 6 foot 2 or smaller.
No more expensive than other aircraft, many sources if you know what you are involved, many after market suppliers, many STC’s to expand choices
V tails have more equivalent surface area than the F33A or A36 variations. All will yaw in a similar manner due to the same wing. The A36 is slightly less.
Continental Engine verses Lycoming, the former run smoother, use less gas, and have more STC options. I would hate a Lycoming on my Bonanza.

KUZA, United States

The front seats of the 4 seater Bo’s (not the 36) are right above the wing spar, they don’t travel down as much as i.e. in a Piper.
You’re sitting upright. Which is a big plus when hand flying in IMC, lay the hands on the knees and grab the yoke. Less risk of inadvertent hand travel when looking to the radio. Easier to maintain straight and level, easier to keep the steering small and controlled.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 18 Mar 09:12
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Can you compare legroom, headroom and performance to an older Mooney?

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

In a Mooney your sitting like in a beach seat where the legs have sunk into the sand and you can stretch your legs for comfort. In a Beech seat I feel like in a bis class airliner seat.. Yes in Bonanza you have a close relationship with the control wheel. Headroom don’t think it’s an issue if your smaller the 1m90..

Last Edited by Vref at 18 Mar 10:07
EBST

1,94m

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany
Sign in to add your message