Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Affordable light twins?

This video shows all the drama and excitement of losing an engine in a light twin:

EGKB Biggin Hill

Flew OEI for 20 minutes on autopilot (3-axis GFC 700) once in the DA42. Non-event.

As to your concern regarding non-FIKI in relation to the over-water routes that you mention, I would not be worried. I have used my TKS literally once in 11 years over the med. And of course you can drift down really low over water. The probability of OEI in combination with sub-zero temps over the med, well, that must be a figure with a lot of zeros behind the decimal point.

I personally am OK flying SEP over the med, although I admit that in such an aircraft I would not fly that route from Marseilles more or less direct to Mallorca and would stay closer to the French coast and jump the puddle from a point in Spain.

The med is usually not hostile, and with a proper aircraft (low-wing is better for ditching) and even better with parachute, some training, live vests on, reasonably manageable (not too bulky) raft at hand you stand a very good chance of survival. And while you wait for the SAR to pick you up you can start dreaming of your next aircraft. In that case a twin may start to cross your mind though

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

In that case a twin may start to cross your mind though

Excellent!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Why is this one so low priced?
www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=42751
I love the looks… especially the tail!

local copy

always learning
LO__, Austria

Maintenance problems in an aircraft with few remaining examples, I imagine.

EGKB Biggin Hill

This is why

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

That pretty much sums it up ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Brilliant video

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lovely plane indeed. I could imagine it would sell well in the US.

For Europe: It’s a 3 ton airplane so therefore expensive on Eurocontrol and other charges.

What can be read on the net is that parts are a problem for the airplane and engines as neither were built in very large numbers. But this one here looks like a very nice example. Outside Europe it could make a very nice traveller.

I could not find any good performance data but it sais on the Wiki page that long range cruise speed at max range was somewhere at 180 kts and 1200 NM range with that. It can carry 220 USG of fuel and, at max cruise, will burn them in about 5 hours. Make the math… apparently at 75% it will do some 240 kts @ 48 GPH at 25k and it’s economy speed at 55% is 210 kts at 28000 ft at about 44 GPH. Now these are solid speed and fuel figures, but looking at that kind of avgas consumption…

Here’s an article by flying magazine from eons ago which gives some information.

https://books.google.ch/books?id=k_9C2kEduw8C&pg=PA62&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is a quite jurassic site with some information on the Duke by a german owner. What to look for when buying one is one example. The rest… well, the site is dated. It runs best with Netscape Navigator which sais it all.

http://www.beechcraft-duke.net/Page1.html

Looking at the figures and at the maintenance concerns these owners have, maybe a Cheyenne I can do a better job with Avtur/Jetfuel and similar speed and range…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Duke’s look sexy, but they’re a nightmare to maintain. Rare engines, low TBO, very complex systems, etc. And in the end, they go fast, but not that fast. An Aerostar will run circles around it in performance, and be a lot more reliable, have better support and cost less (although not by any means cheap either).

A few Duke’s were converted to turbine and I’ve heard they’re good planes, but a little short legged (always a problem for turbine conversions).

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 31 Mar 18:55
Sign in to add your message