Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Four seat modern high-wing

Tecnam P2010?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I can’t understand the attraction of mogas. It stinks. It’s full of eco-piss ethanol and gawd knows what other crud. It has a lower flashpoint and higher vapour pressure than unleaded Avgas. It’s illegal to transport it in useful quantities in a car or van. And by the time you factor in all the fetching and carrying, it’s more expensive than a simple phone call to CYMA or Warter to deliver a couple of thousand litres of 91/96 UL.

I was tempted to buy a Rallye once, but a former owner warned that spares can be scarce. Is that an OWT? If she was fibbing and spares are readily available then it’s only the shape and training wheel that ought to put god-fearing folks off.

@Snoopy, whatever you do, don’t buy a Maule. Even a modern one. Everyone who never owned one knows that they are incredibly difficult to land and generally useless except for carrying the baggage/bicycles/spare girlfriends that your pals can’t squeeze into their huskies and supercubs.

On the subject of grass landing fields, I’ve never seen one so wet that I couldn’t use all year round. But then I live in SW Scotland, and we only get 4 ft of rain a year… Just keep cattle in a different field – unless you decide to buy a Rallye.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Thank you all.

Airborne_Again wrote:

You can’t simply say that one way will give more stability than the other, it depends on the design.

Right you are, I guess it’s just a personal spleen then.

LeSving wrote:

If you want 4 seats, you already have restricted yourself to normal SEP and experimental. “if build quality can be assured” tells me you should never purchase an experimental plane.

Thank you for the clear words – that’s exactly what I wanted to hear!
What about 2 seats and LSA or VLA category? Trustworthy build quality?

Peter wrote:

A C182 is very popular

A Diesel 182 with a chute would be nice… $$$

ormazad wrote:

the number for Rotax 912 is 215 g
Someone knows the same number for Lyco and Conti ?

Interesting point you raise. Thanks.

Airborne_Again wrote:

figure is about 180 g/hp/hr if you lean properly

Even better than the rotax. So the only way to really use less fuel is, tada, a smaller plane with less consumption. Ergo no 4 seater.

huv wrote:

Everything rattles more in a Piper that in a Cessna when operating on uneven ground, and that wears the airframe and equipment.

Good point, thanks.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Snoopy, I thought you were on the verge of buying an SR20?

It’s partly responsible for this thread. That SR20 was a good opportunity, and it might still develop (with a group/club) but I think it will be sold sooner than that.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Where I see a problem is the farm strip idea, however I don’t know how that works in Austria

It is legal here if you have approval from the land owner and the aviation authority. I flew from a farm strip with a friend in his Bristell a few weeks ago. Pure. Freedom.

Off_Field wrote:

For modern, you could perhaps build / find a bearhawk 4 place.

or a glassair sportsman in tailwheel?

Googling now. Thanks. Glasair is also $$$

AfricanEagle wrote:

Most of my flying is from grass strips in my Cessna 172N (160hp). I have a O320-2HD engine which is the only Lycoming that can’t take mogas, otherwise it would be perfect.

400m are sufficient if not fully loaded, 600m at MTOW are comfortable. Great for touring two up, camping stuff and full fuel.

The high wings are good for not getting wet when it rains and relaxing in the shade on hot sunny days. They also keep the night humidity off the tent set up beneath them. Wings also stay clean in muddy conditions since the wheels don’t throw up mud on the bottom side.

Just my two cents.

Thanks a lot.

NicR wrote:

It’s low-wing rather than high-wing, but the Alpi Pioneer 400 could be a good option:

Thanks. AdamFrisch wrote:

Get a Helio Courier and be done with it.

Learned of yet another plane, thanks!
Silvaire wrote:

I think a Rallye makes the most sense, but I’m not a fan of new if it comes at a cost over old and well maintained.

Morane Rallye?

alioth wrote:

If you don’t mind deeply unsexy, you could always consider the Beagle Airedale, which has a useful load similar to a Cessna 180 but will cost you about 1/10th the price (because they are deeply unsexy, and the performance isn’t stellar – I believe they were humourously referred to being “a bit of a dog of an aeroplane” when they were made)

I’m googling it. I have a Beagle at home (the dog), and I’d hope the plane would do more of what I tell it to do than the dog ;)

aart wrote:

I’m glad to see that more of us seem to think of this route, and realise that Flying should mean Freedom
You’re in the Graz area, so south of the Alps. Nonetheless, could you be caught out by longer periods of a swamped grass field?

We do get rain but (as of yet) no monsoon. Fog is more of an issue from November to March.

WilliamF wrote:

I thought you were buying a T207A….

I have invested a lot of time into this project. The broker was unreliable so I got in touch with the owner (an employee of the owner at least). It wouldn’t be a personal fun plane but a business, so this is a different “construction site” and has many ifs (engine, commercial use, se vfr aoc suitability etc..).

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Your mission screams Mogas 182 (1975 or earlier). Buy a clean airframe and make it perfect. I have a 180HP Rallye, which is really a 3 place with full fuel and bags (LR tanks), but it’s not a mogas plane (legally).

Thanks for the input.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Apr 21:06
always learning
LO__, Austria

Jacko wrote:

I can’t understand the attraction of mogas. It stinks. It’s full of eco-piss ethanol and gawd knows what other crud. It has a lower flashpoint and higher vapour pressure than unleaded Avgas. It’s illegal to transport it in useful quantities in a car or van. And by the time you factor in all the fetching and carrying, it’s more expensive than a simple phone call to CYMA or Warter to deliver a couple of thousand litres of 91/96 UL.

I’m trying to escape the 2,5-3€ p.L. Avgas craziness around here… if it were the weather we’d have in common with greece I’d approve, but not avgas prices.

Jacko wrote:

I was tempted to buy a Rallye once, but a former owner warned that spares can be scarce. Is that an OWT? If she was fibbing and spares are readily available then it’s only the shape and training wheel that ought to put god-fearing folks off.

So no Moranes then!

Jacko wrote:

@Snoopy, whatever you do, don’t buy a Maule. Even a modern one.

Thanks for the warning.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Jacko wrote:

@Snoopy, whatever you do, don’t buy a Maule. Even a modern one.

Thanks for the warning.

@Snoopy that was Yorkshire sarcasm. There is nothing better than a Maule, except two Maules side-by-side. That by the way was Australian sarcasm. But I do like the Maules…

Last Edited by JasonC at 17 Apr 21:10
EGTK Oxford

I’m trying to escape the 2,5-3€ p.L. Avgas craziness around here

It might be worth enquiring about bulk prices then. Either delivered into 205 litre drums or a bowser or a fixed tank. A second hand bowser is an investment which won’t depreciate. I’ve seen cheapskate farmers in England who don’t receive our nice LFA payments make fixed Avgas tanks for a few hundred euros using an ex-forecourt pump, some pipework and a steel tank from a scrapyard.

JasonC wrote:

That by the way was Australian sarcasm.

You know what they say to „I’m from Austria“?
„Oh wow Australia, always wanted to go there“

;)

So I take it Maules are great?!?!!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Jacko wrote:

It might be worth enquiring about bulk prices then.

Not allowed here. The regulations here are inverse to the countries size (basically the regulatory machinery is still the size adequate for when this country was a lot bigger).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

So I take it Maules are great?!?!!

Didn’t you know Jesus has come back as Jacko in a Maule? Here’s the proof:

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message