Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Military aircraft with weird limitations

Where on earth did you read this Peter?

The Typhoon has brake cooling fans, as do many other fighters and airliners.

Carbon brakes like to run hot, they work better that way.

On the Typhoon you would aerobrake down around 100kts then use small amounts of braking for a few seconds from 100kts down to taxiing – as with many other fighters.

Chances of landing at a base where they aren’t expecting you and wouldn’t have the appropriate facilities, extremely remote – the ground power is not Typhoon specific.

Source – Typhoon test pilot

EGLL, EGLF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I am sure Peter refer to this and the choice not to land into other places than homebase or adequate bases:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18659285.raf-typhoon-emergency-lossiemouth-jets-emergency-squawk-7700/

I am sure it’s hell of difficult to land a Typhoon in other places than it’s homebase, no idea of the logistics involved, but for start paying the typical UK airport landing fee, sorting takeoff PPR, noise abatement brief and paying for 4000L JetA goes beyond what an RAF junior lieutenant can handle both logistically & financially

I am sure they can land with no breaks…

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Aug 13:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Where on earth did you read this Peter?

On the internet

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Eurofighter also has a drag chute for emergency braking, and I know most Airport Fire Departments have brake cooling fans for exactly that purpose. And even if they don’t, they could always cool them with water, as in other “hot brakes” events.
I somehow think this might be written by someone wishing to bash the plane.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Local to me, military F/A-18s land at a small public airport on weekends when arriving in the area. This keeps their primary airport within the operating hours agreed with local government. They can also buy fuel there, using their magic government credit card. They don’t seem to have problems with their brakes.

As an aside, I was riding a bicycle on the ramp when one of the F/A-18 pilots came out to fly. We discussed the plane a bit and she was very nice. It was difficult not to fall in love

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Aug 14:22

Aaaaaahhhh…

The piece I read was

The airfield needs specific support to allow a Typhoon in and it’s not just about flying it and landing. Even a Typhoon going into another RAF station unsupported requires specific stuff. I watched an unsupported Typhoon display and then land at Odiham families day a couple of years ago. It sat idling for what seemed like 20 mins after taxing in simply because the onboard power to cool the brakes isn’t powerful enough without the engine running when external power isn’t available. If it had been shut down the onboard power would have been run down so it wouldn’t have been able to restart – or worse case that and the brakes erupting in flames. So a Typhoon on low fuel I’m assuming can’t land on a non Typhoon supported field without the recovery plan moving to…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

They can also buy fuel there, using their magic government credit card

TOTAL or BP ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’m guessing the government has a deal with Visa or MasterCard, so as to be used anywhere in the US where there’s a Jet-A pump.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Aug 14:57

Cool to have a Typhoon test pilot here!

I was once at Mojave Air/Space port (in a 172) and a fighter jet parked next to us. No equipment whatsoever. Perhaps he(or she) went for a 100$ burger?

Apparently Austria bought some „tranche 1“ eurofighters that are not very capable for their price tag.

Thread drift: I think this F35 air stair is neat engineering:

always learning
LO__, Austria

IIRC on the F/A-18 they have a robust looking drop down handle for the pilot to pump the canopy up in the absence of external power. With that accomplished one can climb in and get onboard power going.

Sign in to add your message