Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

1999kg Piper Meridian - payload?

I think that stc applied before the gross weight increase. So the payload would have been lower.

EGTK Oxford

OK; taking it before the 300lb MTOW increase gets us very close to zero payload, with that 50kg pilot.

That still doesn't make any sense to me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter the STC is only to avoid Eurocontrol charges. People who get it seem to accept flying very overweight which of course is fine from an airframe perspective - the aircraft doesn't know you decreased the MTOW. My concern is only insurance should you have an accident which could be linked to weight.

EGTK Oxford

Peter the STC is only to avoid Eurocontrol charges. People who get it seem to accept flying very overweight which of course is fine from an airframe perspective - the aircraft doesn't know you decreased the MTOW. My concern is only insurance should you have an accident which could be linked to weight.

Sure - I see that.

Presumably my figures were right

Actually I suspect that the max pilot weight could be nearer to 30kg, but nobody posted the figures which correspond exactly with each other for a specific era airframe.

It is tempting to think that with the 1999kg STC page inserted in the POH, and the 337 sent off to the FAA and being available for retrieval by anybody who sends the retrieval fee ($20?) to the FAA, you and everybody around knows the plane will be illegal to load above 1999kg and crucially they all know that there is no way it could ever be flown below MTOW with full tanks, and that you (the PIC) must know that.

However, the plane can be flown legally, so insurance must be valid.

Administrator

However, the plane can be flown legally, so insurance must be valid.

Unless you overload and that causes the claim.

Other risk I guess is that some regulator wants to see your W&B during a ramp check.

EGTK Oxford

but nobody posted the figures which correspond exactly with each other for a specific era airframe.

I think I did. Anyway for completeness (from my POH):

BEW: 3483lbs

Max Ramp weight: 5134lbs
Max Takeoff weight: 5092lbs
Max Landing weight: 4850lbs
Max baggage hold weights: 110lbs
Max usable fuel 170usg

So with full fuel I can carry exactly 512lbs of people and bags. If I flew with full fuel and 6x180lb (80kg) adults I would be about 12% over MTOW.

If I flew with 4 (heavy) people and full fuel I would be at 5300lbs I would be about 4% overweight.

Now on a long flight, you will always land below max landing weight. It is up to a pilot to decide how happy they are to takeoff overweight and what % overweight they are comfortable with if any.

With my family (Two adults, two teenagers), we can just be at MTOW with four of us and full fuel. The easiest way for me to get more load carrying capacity would be for me to lose a bit of weight!

EGTK Oxford

OK, taking your actual figures, I get

5092 - 512 = 4580 lb is the empty weight with full fuel.

That is 2077kg.

So with the 1999kg STC your full fuel payload would be 78kg.

On the Jetprop it is 160kg.

So neither is obviously illegal to be seen "in the air" with that STC - even if somebody knew that you had just filled right up.

Administrator

Guys, IMHO this is an 'angels-on-a-pinhead' debate. I've done my fair share of long distance SEP flights, albeit never in a Cirrus. However, after flying down to Girona the other day with Jason, I most definitely know what I'd prefer for that kind of trip, even if it involves a fuel stop. Hint - it's not the SEP....

Might want to check that calculation. I think you mean with a 1999kg STC with full fuel you are already overweight before you step inside.

EGTK Oxford

Whoops - there goes my job as your hired pilot

You are 78kg over MTOW with an empty plane...

In fact you can't even fill it up on the ground because you are over the ramp weight

Administrator
Sign in to add your message