Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Epic turboprop

but probably anyone buying a new-ish TP doesn’t care about cost.

Especially not since with TBM 5 years of MX are included. Hassle free package.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

A lot of TBM cost is IMHO excessive. So much pointless dismantling of stuff.

True but the solution is probably not to design a new plane but in fact to take an existing one and engineer out the issues. I was very surprise to learn about this interesting company:
https://www.resurgent.aero/

They seem to have taken on the Eclipse 500 and certify paperwork and modifications for major maintenance issues of the plane. More companies should do this for other airframes.

Regarding the TBM if you really want to operate on a budget the big MTOW is a major hurdle hard to overcome. By designing a cost effective alternative it would probably end up beeing a PA46 turbine so this spot in the market is taken. I could imagine a spot for a very fast single turbine but it would have to come close to Piaggio 180 or Cheyenne 400 numbers. A product for Citation owners fed up with all the issues of jet ownership.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

The certified version E1000 GX was reviewed in the french magazine Aviation & Pilote of november 2021.
The reviewer was overall very satisfied with the large cabin volume and comfort (at >1.9 m height, he fits in the pilot’s seat with room to spare), logical arrangement of breakers and swtiches and general good ergonomy for the pilot, high performances and good flight characteristics. During the trial they achieved a speed in level flight at FL240 at max cruise (just below max ITT) of 327KTAS on 69gph. Cabin altitude there was a comfortable 7000ft.

At the end of the article, there is a comparative table with the TBM940. Many characteristics are all but identical, except:

• PT6A-67A of 1200hp for the E1000 GX vs PT6A-66D of 850hp for the TBM940
  • 4000fpm max rate of climb (ISA) vs 2855fpm
  • G1000NXi vs G3000
  • CFRP construction vs metal
  • 6.6 psi vs 6.2psi
  • 3.84m total height vs 4.35m
  • 4.57m cabin length vs 4.05m
  • 1.43m cabin width vs 1.21m
  • 8000lbs MTOW vs 7394lbs
  • 2238lbs max payload vs 1403lbs
  • 1100lbs max payload with full fuel vs 891lbs
  • $3.85M vs $4.6M
    (I have not verified the numbers myself, just copying them from the printed magazine; if there are errors, blame the journalist).

It loads better, climbs better, and is $750k cheaper. But their network in Europe is non-existant.

ESMK, Sweden

It loads better, climbs better, and is $750k cheaper

Not surprising with 1200hp vs 850hp?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The 1200hp is a bit of a marketing gimmick.

Both the 66d and 67a have a EHSP of 1825hp.

https://www.flyingmag.com/rating-turboprops-power/

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sure, however, 1200hp vs 850hp is what explains 4000fpm vs 2855fpm? I doubt it’s aerodynamics on same HP against the propeller?

The two engines without propeller attached in front, without torque limits and without airframe can theoretically deliver 1825hp, the climb rate will be about 0fpm

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Oct 22:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Excess power does translate pretty well directly into a climb rate (=acquision of potential energy).

The problem is that in this price range the buyers expect excellent prawn sandwiches served by a very good looking waitress. And nobody does this like the French. Been there at Tarbes, seen it, had the sandwiches, didn’t work on me but only because I already had a TB20

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem is that in this price range the buyers expect excellent prawn sandwiches served by a very good looking waitress. And nobody does this like the French. Been there at Tarbes, seen it, had the sandwiches, didn’t work on me but only because I already had a TB20

None of the TBM owners I know care at all about „prawn sandwiches“ or „waitresses“.
Of the manufacturers in this class and my experience being in Tarbes several times is DAHER / TBM is very much no fuss / no BS concerning marketing. Instead they focus on the product, it’s support and are very active among the owner community.

The epic looks great, competition is always a good thing. How are their prawns and waitresses?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Nonexistent, I would think. They need some sort of European representation. Should not be hard to set up, with good factory backup.

I wonder what sort of components are used in the Epic. The TBM has a lot of very expensive parts. One owner said he’s not looking forward to the warranty end, with some aircon heat exchanger costing 20k. But Socata tend to use French parts, which are several times more expensive than US versions. I don’t expect to see input here from Epic owners who are mostly in the US…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Good question. I’d not be surprised if most of the parts for the key components come from the same suppliers.

The parts from the factory in Tarbes, especially the machined airframe ones, are renowned to be of utmost build quality. They even mount the airframe to a rotational rig so that all rivets are shot at exactly 90° angle.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message