Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a first airplane - TB9?

greg_mp wrote:

Rally are very good planes but current fleet state is usually in a misérable state. Back seat are usually exposed to airflow through a badly sealed canopy. e.g. 110kn is pretty awesome for a 893, they are not going all that well.
Nevertheless I was close to see this one: https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=56287

It´s not hard to seal them properly. Mine has zero airflow in the back seats – and even if it did, other than noise, it would assist in the air conditioning ! ;-)

F-BUND has a very high hour airframe of 9500+ which shows from the cockpit wear and will likely not impress most buyers at first sight. That being said, from what I see, it has a fair amount of hours remaining on the engine, propeller and governor. It´s got “up-to-date” avionics with regards to 8,33mhz and mode S – so it´s ready to fly without limitations, from the look of things.
On a side note, F-BUND seems to have RH seat toe brakes, which is not standard equipment and a lot of the GT versions don´t have that. So, if one wanted to use it for flight instruction this is a good thing.

Last Edited by Yeager at 01 Jan 09:47
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

And if tou look at the panel, you’ll see a gear handle as well :). What a collector, a RG rallye

Last Edited by greg_mp at 01 Jan 10:42
LFMD, France

greg_mp 01-Jan-24 10:42 53
And if tou look at the panel, you’ll see a gear handle as well :). What a collector, a RG rallye

I did notice that gear handle, an until now unseen feature on any Rallye! I’m sure we’re now looking at cruise performances nearing 120KTs! Remarkable! ;-)

Last Edited by Yeager at 01 Jan 10:53
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

greg_mp wrote:

This one is also great but completely overpriced
https://www.planecheck.com/?ent=da&id=55560
It also has a O540 engine.

Yes, 100k€ for an aircraft without a radio or transponder, and 1400 hours on the engine?? Seems like they have good stuff to smoke in Gap :D
Maybe the seller thinks the taildragger configuration increases the value, in a similar way as it does with Robin DR250 or Jodel Mousquetaires. Not sure it works that way with Rallyes, though :D (Well, as a side note I don’t even understand why DR250 and Mousquetaires fetch such a high price either.)

etn
EDQN, Germany

Mousquetaires tend to be in demand in France. They have an excellent useful load and they are used a lot by those who fly to altiports or onto glaciers.
They rarely come on the market so many build their own.

France

gallois wrote:

Mousquetaires tend to be in demand in France. They have an excellent useful load and they are used a lot by those who fly to altiports or onto glaciers.
They rarely come on the market so many build their own.

Agree that they are excellent aircraft! A Mouss’ or a DR250 would have been my dream aircraft. However, at those price, I compromised on the 3rd wheel, bought a DR253, and got other advantages: larger cabin (vs DR250), similar speed, more fuel, more load, etc.

etn
EDQN, Germany

Hello All,

I hope I’m not barging in as I’m new around here, but given this topic is about a first airplane acquisition and my considerations so far include the TB10 and the Grumman Tiger I thought I would ask here some questions:

Can anyone say if maintenance on a GA/AG Tiger is an issue in Europe? Are there parts available for the airframe and controls? I take it the engine is rather common so no major issues there.

I assume the TB10 is more common, but are the two comparable regarding maintenance or is one significantly more expensive than the other?

I have lurked a bit in the forum and found lots of useful info so far, but couldn’t find anything specifically related to my particular unknowns.

Thanks all!

Dan
LRAR, LRDV, LRTR, Romania

TB9 versus TB10 should be similar, if the two planes are in the same condition and had a similar maintenance history. Tiger, I have no idea… how old would it be?

The cost of scheduled and especially unscheduled maintenance can vary by a factor of 5x according to its past history of neglect, etc. I have seen a C150 costing 10k at every Annual, which is about 4x of what my TB20 costs me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

doillq wrote:

Can anyone say if maintenance on a GA/AG Tiger is an issue in Europe? Are there parts available for the airframe and controls?

As a Tiger owner and a licensed maintenance engineer, I’d say it’s not an issue. Tiger in general has relatively low maintenance costs for its class, and Fletchair in the US is the main supplier of parts. Over 3000 Tigers/Cheetahs/Travelers have been built, so there is also a relatively good supply of used parts from dismantlers.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

@Ultranomad, what about the mandatory ADs for Grumman aircraft? There was some noise about the wing spars for some models…

EGTR
Sign in to add your message