Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA62

I can’t see many going for the sub-2k version

You should develop some sample route using the EuroGA router as this now shows the Eurocontrol charges

I am sure Achim was offered money by 2T+ manufacturers to remove that feature

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter. I use EuroGA router quite a lot (I prefer it to RocketRoute which is our company tool) but have never noticed the en-route charges tool – where do I find that?

Even so, a 470kg useful load is somewhat limiting while 730kg suddenly make serious sense. Regardless, I’m a big fan of Diamond and what they are trying to achieve.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 17 Apr 07:19
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

but have never noticed the en-route charges tool – where do I find that?

On the view route page, you see something like this:

Route: EGTK … EDMO
Validation: NO ERRORS
Route charges: 225.01 € (including 26.51 € VAT)

The route charges are suppressed if they are zero, so you need to use an aircraft over 2t.

LSZK, Switzerland

The route charges are suppressed if they are zero, so you need to use an aircraft over 2t.

Officially some terminal areas have charges for sub 2t aircraft. Sometimes even enroute but when the amount is small (there is a number per quarter from what I know), then Eurocontrol refrain from invoicing you.

Currently we only show the total amount for a route but we’re planning to break it down to individual sectors and terminal areas. The briefing packs already contain that information (albeit in a bit cryptic format, we’ll most likely remove it again because strictly speaking it’s not relevant for conducting the flight so should not be in a briefing pack).

Thanks. Sometimes the most obvious things get overlooked.

PS. Your auto-route generator is far far better than RocketRoute’s.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 17 Apr 07:38
Fly safely

Every aircraft that Diamond has made so far (except maybe the Eclipse) has been badly underpowered.

The 180hp Lyco IO-360 DA40 didn’t feel underpowered to me. Also no complaints on the Austro DA42-VI. Granted, it’s not a 2 × 310 hp Baron…

The 180hp Austros on the DA62 are indeed a bit on the low side, though.

By the way, regarding the DA62 stick, I believe you can actually disconnect & remove the stick on the right front seat for non-pilot passenger comfort.

Incidentally, the 168 hp Austro engine TBO just went up to to 1800 hrs. (engine + gearbox),… – so it’s looking pretty decent on the maintenance front.

Last Edited by Hodja at 17 Apr 08:39

Why not put the 180hp increased power version in the DA42 and call it VII ?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Because they eant to be able to say “we have a 7-seater in our line-up”.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Looks quite nice. I can’t see many going for the sub-2k version but the 2.3t aircraft has reasonable capability

Look at the Senecas in Europe. The situation is the same; it’s almost unflyablembelow 2 tons. Yet, they almost all go for the 2 ton STC.

It will be the same with the DA62 in Europe (elsewhere, less so). They will just operate it to 2.3 tons and say “it’s certified to go to 2.3 tons, so that’s totally safe. It’s just a burocratic thing”. In fact, if you have an accident, the insurance will most probably pay out, since they won’t be able to say that the overweight condition was causal for the accident.

The only people who really have to pay attention to the 2-ton limit are commercial operators, since these aleays have to have everything 100% in order, otherwise they open themselves to troubles.

But then again, who is still doing commercial ops with light twins in Europe?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

We are, using Chieftains and a single DA42.

Fly safely
Sign in to add your message