Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza operating cost

@WiskeyPapa here you are.

Beside that I fully agree with @EuroFlyer and his departure figures. I do practice it similar, especially as the POH above shows the IO520 and installed in mine is the IO550. But I do have only the older POH here on my iPad.

EDDS , Germany

Thanks for the figures, and great videos guys.

Really make me want to try a Bo, but I’m still running that advice through my head “If you can’t afford one, don’t try one or you’ll only know what you’re missing…”

If you’re hot for a Bonanza but are too scared to fly one try just sitting in one. They have a very ‘traditional’ ergonomic setup, sitting upright with yoke and pedals close, and it’s not ideal for some people including me. My head also hits the curved roof on the left. They are clearly a great plane but this is the reason they’ve never made my short list.

On the other hand I’ve flown and own other aircraft with similar space and ergonomic issues (for me), so maybe its just that the Bonanza’s forte is long distance flying and I imagine sitting in ideal comfort for that ‘mission’.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 May 20:04

EuroFlyer wrote:

eah, that’s hilarious, although he’s a bit slow for my taste. Stall horn in 50m on final isn’t my favourite sound.

But it’s an established bush landing technique. This video explains it well.

At 4 minutes into the video “Most people are not comfortable with the stall horn going off this early in the approach”.

The stall warner in many light singles also goes off very early, often 10 to 15 kts faster than when the stall actually occurs.

Andreas IOM

I agree with alioth on this one.

If I want a particularly short landing the stall horn is usually on/off most of the last few hundred feet.

yes the seat is a bit high. In fact my knee is rather close to the yoke which was an unfamiliar feeling at first.

It now proves to be excellent to rest my left hand on the knee while holding the yoke with two fingers, which in turn helps me to not accidentally move the yoke while looking at the radio in IMC. Less tendency to bank inadvertently.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Superb video Alioth. Well posted….

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

It may be an established bush landing technique. I’m am still not convinced, because the approach over that large parking area wasn’t similar to those in the mountains in the other video. To me, it very much looks like a more or less normal approach I would do similarly, with a Beech and not a STOL taildragger, and not a ‘gravity’ one with low pitch. I think he was just too slow, sorry.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 19 May 06:24
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

EuroFlyer wrote:

I think he was just too slow, sorry.

Sure, and you are entitled to your opinion. He may well be, (too slow),and it may well be stupid, and it may well at some stage end in disaster. I do not think anyone would argue with you. But, it was posted to show the capability of the machine, in the hands of a pilot very well used to operating it this way. Not for everyone, I agree, but a lot of people mis understand the truly great handling and operational performance of the aeroplane, simply because they have never flown it.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I sympathise with Euroflyer, this technique, self evidently through many videos, coming in behind the power curve below 1.2 Vs, only needs some gust and you will have an interesting wing drop – which might in due course lead to a cartwheel.

The 90 HP Super Cub is not blessed with a stall warner, or AoA, but it will come in behind the curve at 50 mph IAS and make a spot landing with the usual 100 yards ground run.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message