Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 operating costs

Peter I walk away from the computer to get more popcorn and you delete the most entertaining stuff!

KHTO, LHTL

That’s alot of data Gene.

What the thread is about is purely maintenance. So all the fuel, gas, hangar, insurance, etc., is not really relevant, although interesting for many, no doubt.

Still waiting on Alexis for his FACTS data on the Cirrus Fleet …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Peter I walk away from the computer to get more popcorn and you delete the most entertaining stuff!

Hmmm… I don’t think I deleted anything. Not this morning, anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Michael is right each engine and operator has a different sweet spot, which is probably to some extent subjective.

Subjective yes and no. Here is what my experience has been. I have a 210M with an IO550 installed. I operated that airplane combination at 2200 RPM thru 2700 RPM with limited vibrational difference. Then I put on the Flint tip tanks and I get a harmonic vibration which worsens below 2450 and disappears above the number. The lower you go depending on the amount of fuel carried in the tanks the worse it gets. Now before people say vibration if subtle is subjective, I had tested the airframe with a dynamic balancer with and without the tips it showed that indeed it was aiframe and not engine. So off came the Tips, just to make sure, and it validated the data; it was related to the Flint Tips. So I called Atlantic Aero and spoke to their engineers in Greensboro NC and yes they said that the sweetspot for the 210/IO550 is 2500 RPM and this is where they ask that you fly it.

Cont also has a limitation that below 2200 RPM that you not exceed 20 inches of MP.

Not a double blind study but Im confident in the process to be not antidotale.

KHTO, LHTL

Michael wrote:

Michael 22-Nov-15 12:50 #75
Flyer59 wrote:
that’s better for our discussion which should solely be based on facts).
OK, show us YOUR DATA

edited to remove what might be considered a “personal” remark by the administrator

I thought there might be some juicy stuff in there.

Two type A personalities struggling to get their point across. A lot like a Japanese movie “Who is stronger Godzilla or Mothra?”

Now how will we ever know?

KHTO, LHTL

Aviathor wrote:

I cannot remember having written a word.

It was I who asked that question.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

C210_Flyer wrote:

A lot like a Japanese movie “Who is stronger Godzilla or Mothra?”
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

C210_Flyer wrote:

Got smart and now have security tape as well as a filtered funnel for fueling.

Filter I understand, but tape? To see whether someone opened the caps?

Michael wrote:

But that does not take into account the prop’s efficiency.

True. I wouldn’t, however, expect to gain efficiency at such high rpms.

RobertL18C wrote:

Do many cruise at 2200RPM over square?

Before now, I haven’t heard of this “over square”. I knew that only in the context of stroke/ bore (which is a funny one because what is called undersquare is elsewhere called oversquare and vice versa). Yes, I do cruise “over square”. I think this rule might be connected with negative attitude towards leaning. Otherwise, it doesn’t make much sense to me (well, right now, it might sink in, i might have to read more about it – is there an article that provides decent arguments for observing such rule?).

@Martin, you can read the article referred to here in this thread

LFPT, LFPN

@Aviathor Thanks, I already read that one and it’s the opposite of what I want. I want a more detailed explanation on how is this supposed to damage an engine.

Sign in to add your message