Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney celebrates first flight of the M10 (and the demise of the M10)

The Glasair is uncertified which – even in the USA where Experimentals can fly freely – blocks it from the training and other markets.

The Mooney tail was obviously intended to continue the old distinctive trademark. The result is that a given yaw stability requires a longer fuselage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Why would yaw stability require a longer fuselage with a Mooney tail?

For a trainer airplane there is a very good reason to have a Mooney tail – the rudder is a lot more effective at high angles of attack.

Peter wrote:

In the USA, the 2-seater owner market appears to be well addressed by a vast range of homebuilts, especially the RV. But am I right in that the RV cannot be used for PPL training / self fly hire in the USA

You are basically correct, Experimental Amateur Built aircraft cannot be used commercially. The US market for a plane like the two seat Mooney would be high utilization fleet trainers, same service as a C152. Normal utilization private owners would want more performance, lower price, and in most cases would not want the diesel.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 May 14:24

Why would yaw stability require a longer fuselage with a Mooney tail?

A swept-back VS has it’s aerodynamic centre further back.

Mooney probably need an extra 50-100cm on the fuselage length, due to the tail.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I understood the main market for the T is obviously the trainer market. There certainly is a need for a certified economical modern training airframe.

The J is intended as an entry level traveller, basically replacing the vaccum the “J” left behind when it was cancelled. It means a return to the old values of getting as much speed as possible out of each hp used to power the airplane. It is also supposed to be significantly cheaper than the current market offering, that is the SR20, DA40 e.t.c. yet it is very well equipped and has a very decent range, combined with a 52" wide cabin.

Both are actually 3 seater, which makes especcially the J viable even for one child families, the T can carry one instructor and two students or instructor, examiner and student.

The Mooney Tail was developped to allow for better slow flight handling, which is particularly useful for the trainer. However, it is not a bad marketing decision either as it will identify the M10 as a Mooney visually quite clearly.

Personally, a “J” model would be very appealing to me. It is certified, I never carry more than 1 or maximum 2 people, it can do IFR even in Europe, it is quite roomy and modern. 160 kts cruise @ 3-4 GPH with 1000 NM range and JP1 is a very attractive package I think.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The LONG body Mooney is actually about 70 cm shorter than a Cessna 182, and only 20cm longer than the SR22. It was lengthened to accomodate a heavier engine in the nose (though the Rocket conversion fits the heavy TSIO-520NB on a mid-body perfectly). The “original” mid-size Mooney (iterations F thru J) are about 7.5m long, and the early Mooneys were about 20cm shorter. As a matter of fact short-body Mooneys are actually shorter than a PA28…

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 05 May 16:05

Yaw stability is created by tail ‘volume’, the area of the vertical tail surface multiplied by the distance from the center of that area to the c.g. Neither area or distance in isolation provides yaw stability.

I’ve understood one reason to make tails big at the bottom is that the center of rudder area is lower, which results in less rudder produced roll coupling. The CAP 232 provides a good example. I’m not sure if the same issue drove the similar Mooney tail design originally, maybe not because the Mooney rudder is roughly rectangular in shape.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 May 16:48

I would not be looking for too much reasons for Mooney style tail-just the trademark. BTW, this is landing only position, while in flight it’s more conventionally looking (refering to M20 of course).
Speaking of fuselage – do I remember correctly the current body was refered as “extra long” and origially designed to accomodate Porsche engine? So these are basically 3 lengths, only one currently in production…

LKKU, LKTB

Al Mooney specifically sought a forward-canted rudder (at the hinge line not only TE) as it is more effective at high AoA, and in fact it’s very easy to pick up a wing with the rudder at high angles. Even in flight it is canted forward quite noticeably.

There are actually 4 lengths – one of them was for the pressurised Mustang which was about 20cm shorter than the current production models.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

160 kts cruise @ 3-4 GPH

Dream on

EDLE
Sign in to add your message