Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

1960 Cessna 210

A real smartie – by the ad language and the interesting effort to hide the plane’s ID

The hours do not quite add up, either ?

EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

A real smartie – by the ad language and the interesting effort to hide the plane’s ID

Haha, yes i saw that too. And they’re calling it a Centurion, which it is not.

Seriously: I am a big C210 fan and have flown most iterations of this model, but the early strutted versions are crap. They are underpowered, slow and have a gear system worthy of a B747. In general, I would steer clear of anything earlier than the G model, which was the first to have the non-strutted wing. They really came into their own from the K model onwards, when they got 6 full seats (as opposed to the foldout child seats of previous iterations).

Does anyone have a POH for the 1960 model? Or if not, how much is the 1962 one different?

Playing with the 1962 POH a bit…..

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 20 Sep 18:31
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A quick Google brings up several options for these vintage POHs.

It looks like a very early model, not even a A.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

It looks like a very early model, not even a A.

That is why I was asking what the differences between this and the B model are. Wikipedia yields that it has the same engine type but different model (IO470 E vs S) and it’s also a 4 seater but a few windows more. So I doubt it has much changes in performance. Also it is not known wheather the one for sale is the 62 USG vs the 80 USG usable model.

The 1960 210 had originally a 260hp IO-470E engine.
The 1961 210A added a redesigned interior, more headroom , an external baggage door and one more window per side, improved flap and gear controls and optional 84 USG fuel vs std 65
The 1962 210B widened the cabin a full 10 inches, added omnivision rear windows, the hydraulic powerpack was improved and the accumulator removed, engine changed for an IO-470-S of same hp, main tire size increased to 6.00×6 and MTOW upped 100lbs to 3000lbs. Vne increased from 200 to 225 mph
Max cruise was touted as 190mph on all three, and standard useful load was 1150lbs on the first two, 1250lbs on the ‘B’

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

The 1961 210A added a redesigned interior, more headroom , an external baggage door and one more window per side, improved flap and gear controls and optional 84 USG fuel vs std 65

Right, so a 1960 model would definitly have 65 USG, do I get this right?

Antonio wrote:

The 1962 210B widened the cabin a full 10 inches, added omnivision rear windows, the hydraulic powerpack was improved and the accumulator removed, engine changed for an IO-470-S of same hp, main tire size increased to 6.00×6 and MTOW upped 100lbs to 3000lbs. Vne increased from 200 to 225 mph

Ok, so the 1962 model is very different then from the original 1960. Thanks for that.

So D-ELLI has a E engine but a luggage door, still probably a first of the 210, all the more that it’s advertised as a 1960-built model. I asked for documents as she is falling into what Îm looking for, but I reckon my difficulties with german documentation….

Last Edited by greg_mp at 23 Sep 04:56
LFMD, France

Wouldn’t an early strutted 210 be quite similar to a 182RG which is a popular type? Have flown the later models of 210 and handling is so solid IFR platform category. The 182RG is more, well 182 like.

The early types of 210 need the gear saddles overhauled which sounds like an NHS hip operation with similar waiting times. OTOH the wing strut Cessna have an excellent safety record (possibly only one wing failure in a old timer 180 in a mountain wave), and do not suffer from potential AD issues on the cantilever spars.

The early 210 is not a well followed type but seems a sensible platform if priced as a semi orphan with a suitable maintenance budget.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message