Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Auster Aiglet as a display aircraft

Occasionally I wonder why this fine clipped wing aerobatic aircraft is not seen on the display circuit. It famously introduced the Porteous loop, today known as the Avalanche, although I prefer the original term as it links back to Mr Porteous who introduced the maneuovre as part of his Auster marketing display.

With a shortage of high energy aircraft on the display circuit, perhaps there is an opening for old school barnstorming displays from old timers.

An Aiglet would make a nice five minute routine, presumably starting from 3,000 feet. Fitted with a Lycoming and CS and inverted system it might even be quite exhilarating.

There is at least one pristine version tucked away in a secret barn, and a few versions in various states of airworthiness and a lot of historical patina (ie original paint and fabric).

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Adapting it to a Lycoming would take quite a bit of effort. A straight-four Walter/Avia M332 might be a much easier exercise (or maybe even a six-cylinder M137 for extra power, it’s only 9 cm longer than Gipsy Major).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Was not able to find any vintage footage of an Aiglet been put through its paces, but this was a tidy video of an Autocrat. Built with twice the steel strength of the Super Cub they took the Artillery Observer role to a new level.

Twice the steel strength of a PA18 is a new one on me, but the Auster is definitely 4 x more difficult to land

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

It was known as the steel airplane, with 44 ton steel strength against the 22 ton variety. This is from the IAC history.

http://austerhg.org/books/auster_story.pdf

Ultranomad wrote:

Adapting it to a Lycoming would take quite a bit of effort.

Not that much effort. The fuselage looks identical to the Autocrat, and our Autocrat has a Lycoming on it. The Beagle Husky is closely related and came new with a Lycoming (essentially, our aircraft has been retrofitted to the specification of the Husky). The Autocrat has been fitted with up to an O-360 in the past (in the late nineties, mine was going to get an O-360, but due to engine unavailability ended up with an O-320).

Andreas IOM

Neil wrote:

Twice the steel strength of a PA18 is a new one on me, but the Auster is definitely 4 x more difficult to land

Only if you try to land too fast :-) At the right speed the tendency to bounce is much reduced (also, the Auster lands noticeably more easily on a grass airfield).

Andreas IOM
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message