Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna 182 - SMA Diesel (this time by Soloy), and innovation in GA

I thought of the DA62 when reading your wish list

LFOU, France

The plane needs to suit a wide range of pilots for charter.
Anything non fadec and people screw up the engine.
On a turbine even more so (forget to pull out power during descent = overtorque etc..).

Anything avgas and wet charter means there is no incentive for renters to fly economically. I pay 420€ for an old sr22 wet – of which 150-180€ is fuel because avgas is expensive here.

A da62/jetprop is too expensive (1,5mil for a 62, 1mil usd for a jetprop). All turbines except the new cessna set do not have fadec.

C182 with fadec diesel could do the trick.

always learning
LO__, Austria

What about the DA50 ? SMA engine, diesel, 5 seat and so on. Not quite ready yet by the looks of it, but soon…

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It will probably cost a million…and will it have a chute?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 30 Sep 10:49
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

My optimal plane would be
BRS Parachute
6 seats
Jet a/diesel
Fadec
Wx radar
(Pressurized)

It doesn’t exist.

Of course it does. C210 ‘Silver Eagle’. OK, not sure you can retrofit the BRS chute in this one, although it should be doable, the P210 pressure vessel only encompasses the pax cabin, the baggage compartment is not pressurized.

Thanks for the continued input. Appreciated.
The acquisition cost (and capital cost) of new piston planes is too high compared to the plus in utility.
A nice 00‘s 182 plus chute plus diesel will be <500k.
A nice 00‘s SR22 starts at 200k (no diesel avail).
A new SR22 is close to a million. The DA50 will be as well I assume. Where on diamonds website does it say it will have BRS?

Even though the SR22 and DA50 will be faster I think per NM the 182 will win, especially using Jet a.
Most missions flown are 1, 2 hours with 2 or 3 people.
It could also work using a diesel 172 and brs, but cruise slow speed would be a bigger factor.

300k € Cirrus SR22 7€ per minute.
LIPV – LOWG 1h 8m (165tas) 476€

XXXk € C182 5€ per minute.
LIPV – LOWG 1h 30m (130tas) 450€
That would be a conservative approach, unless 130kts is not realistic in a C182?
Pretty sure 4,5€ would work too with Diesel.

The BRS is only EASA certified for 172/182 afaik.
Anything piston the BRS is a must. Ufn not available in 6 seaters, or?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes; the same old problem: there is a large gap between pistons and turboprops, and there is no obvious way it will ever get smaller, other than via pistons rising to silly prices like $2M for an SR22. A new SR22 is over $1M already so maybe one day…

Anything piston the BRS is a must.

I think it depends on your mission profile. Lots of mountains, or (much more commonly) a spouse who won’t fly with you otherwise, then Yes. But for the average profile I think the case is harder to make, because engine failures are very rare.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

That would be a conservative approach, unless 130kts is not realistic in a C182?

For a FG 182 this is a realistic – read: conservative – speed, even our club 182 (the slowest I’ve ever flown) does that. You normally get a bit more than that, say 135kts. The RG version will give you around 145kts.

Peter wrote:

a spouse who won’t fly with you otherwise, then Yes.

how do you get wives who are so educated on details? mine does not like flying (in anything),but agrees to fly,if there is a suitable objective.. but no discrimination between small or big planes..

EETU, Estonia

Peter wrote:

I think it depends on your mission profile.

Absolutely.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message