Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

149 hrs in 17 years... G-TBGT / N36GT TB20

I updated one of the KX155A radios to a KX165A/8.33 for a net of about $2k. Slide in, 5 mins. Today it costs a bit more because the 165A/8.33 is sough after. But much of Europe seems to have just abandoned postponed 8.33 for VFR, I think…

But this TB has the older non-A radios which never got a slide-in 8.33 replacement (one company has been talking about one for years – past thread on it). So add maybe 1k for labour to rewire the back of it. There are however more modern radios from Garmin too; many prefer them, and lots of past threads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But much of Europe seems to have just abandoned postponed 8.33 for VFR, I think…

Wishful thinking! We were told yesterday on the EASA Roadshow meeting at Berne that 8.33 is a high priority and the only delay they are going to give are likely to be individual extensions as the avionic shops can not keep up with the demand. Some countries apparently have set delays but if you want to fly within central Europe and also some eastern european countries which already have made the transition then you’ll be in trouble.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sorry, I couldn’t resist…. as we say in Straya:

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Peter wrote:

Of course this presumes the oil in there has some hours on it and whether this is verifiable. If the plane has just been serviced then you can’t do this check I recall somebody I knew years ago going around this exact thing (a long-stored plane) but I never found out what happened. They just bought it anyway regardless but I heard it was then grounded for a long time, reason not known to me.

Oil is changed at every annual, right? So if the aircraft has flown an average of less than 9 hrs/year, would an oil analysis show anything interesting?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Oil is changed at every annual, right?

I don’t change the oil at Annual if the previous service was done say 10hrs before. I might do it if it has 25hrs on it. But then I know exactly who has been messin’ with the plane, and am not a company which needs to tick boxes and charge for them

Admittedly the degree to which a seller is willing to go along with this sort of thing is very variable. Many sellers treat all buyers as time wasters, just because some of them are. But no way will this guy get 180k for it. I recall one absolutely fully loaded TB20 (full TKS, £25k GPWS, £25k TCAS, new engine, everything) going for that much but that was best part of 10 years ago.

Administrator

3 years ago, my friend’s TB20GT year 2002 with full TKS, KFC225, Garmin 530 and 430 and freshly overhauled engine and prop (0 hours on both) went for €145k. My TB20 (G1, year 2000, factory rebuilt engine with only 300 hours, full TKS, Garmin 530, GTX330 etc.) went for €135k. So no way he can get more than €120 for this one. Low engine hours are not so important on 17 years old engine – it can only be privately flown without overhaul. And avionics is so old that practically complete panel has to be redone.

Last Edited by Emir at 28 Oct 14:20
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

And avionics is so old that practically complete panel has to be redone.

Why? It needs 8.33 and a new GPS preferrably, so all that NEEDS to be done is to exchange those to a 2nd hand GNS430W or invest into a newer GTN series box. Everything else is nice to have, not must have. A buyer could also opt for a dual GNS/GTN installation of course.

Emir wrote:

Low engine hours are not so important on 17 years old engine – it can only be privately flown without overhaul.

True but if it checks out ok, then there is not much wrong with that. Calendar limits are in most cases only a money making machine for overhaulers, not a necessity.

Yes the price is probably too high but that does not mean anything as that is the case with 90% of the airplanes on planecheck. The question will be if he is willing to accept a lower offer. In any case, if the pre-buy is ok, it is a very nice airplane with very low hours and TKS FIKI, not many of those around.

To make this TB20 8.33 you would probably remove the KLN90B and one of the two radios and put in a GTN650, or if you want to do it cheaper then put in an ex Ebay 430W (hmmm can’t install any used avionics in an EASA-reg unless overhauled by the manufacturer and supplied with an EASA-1 form ). Then you get LPV and RNAV1/PRNAV/RNP/whatever it is called this afternoon, all in one go.

I would want a big moving map screen but it isn’t necessary, and prob99 the current owner only ever flew it VFR in the local area, with a very rare trip beyond say 50nm, otherwise it would have been on the plane spotter sites. Those sites are really quite indicative of the general activity, and unlike FR24 (which needs Mode S, so doesn’t pick up a lot of GA, especially the sections of the community which routinely fly non-TXP) they will pick you up if you go to any of the GA watering holes.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

To make this TB20 8.33 you would probably remove the KLN90B and one of the two radios and put in a GTN650, or if you want to do it cheaper then put in an ex Ebay 430W (hmmm can’t install any used avionics in an EASA-reg unless overhauled by the manufacturer and supplied with an EASA-1 form ).

There are plenty of those around and most removed units from a avionic shop will have the EASA-1. But with a price range of that plane, I suppose it may well be worth putting a GTN in the place of the KLN and one of the KY’s.

The current owner can’t have flown it much. 149 hrs TT is just ridiculous for such a plane, particulary FIKI e.t.c. I wonder whether it’s been stored for a while.

A very good point about the TKS. It would need to be fully tested to check for blockages.

You are right about the EASA-1. Only an 8130-3 needs to be issued by the equipment manufacturer, according to some posts, probably around here

Administrator
Sign in to add your message