Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper piston PA46 Malibu / Mirage and other pressurised SEPs (and some piston versus PT6 discussion)

This is relevant to the “STC owner not around” question.

For EASA STC routes I would ask one of the owners mentioned here. Usually you can track people down via google (if the plane is seen anywhere by spotters, and you have the tail number). If a tail number is not on google, but it exists, it either flies very locally / only at night, or very rarely, and in any case lives in a hangar the rest of the time.

I really don’t know but the single serial number route may have been used to get an EASA reg. I believe this is what CAV use to install their TKS STC onto an EASA reg plane. I never found out because I am N-reg but CAV told me they do a special EASA inspector signoff of some sort. There is an outfit called AIRplus Maintenance at EDNY which does TKS installations (but you have to twist their arm to get them to take your money) which may know more.

But why EASA-reg? It is such a hassle compared to N-reg, on a plane which is technically nontrivial. I mean, an N-reg C152 is basically worthless in Europe, but a Jetprop? OK; you need US papers.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If the STC owner dies, what happens to the STC rights? In theory they are vested in his estate.

By my observation nothing typically happens if it is owned by an individual, in effect the STC just dies with the person. But if it is of particular value and/or is company owned, sales continue. Sometimes a type club or specialty business like Univair gets involved.

In the same way that the TC for an aircraft can be abandoned over time without effect on N-register owners, when an STC holder dies it has no effect on planes with the mod already incorporated. It can however lead to people who’d like to use a very old STC trying to figure out who might be able to authorize their use and supply whatever data or parts may be required, on a case by case basis. This can get a bit comical with a plane like the Globe/Temco Swift where a great many STC’d mods were approved over many decades. Somebody today has a challenge in that regard if they are trying to build up a project plane to their own spec, incorporating mods originally done many years ago by individuals who are now gone.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Sep 14:28

Unfortunately it seems that JetProp fleet reached its final number. The number of potentially upgradable airframes is limited to pre-2008 pool and the factory obviously doesn’t do much these days.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This was done here. I don’t think it is the case, but it is the case economically because nobody wants to buy a G1000 PA46 and rip out the G1000 which has zero value because Garmin don’t support a re-installation.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I don’t think it is the case, but it is the case economically because nobody wants to buy a G1000 PA46 and rip out the G1000 which has zero value because Garmin don’t support a re-installation.

If G1000 is part of TC (which I believe it is, at least under EASA – document attached), then you can not just rip it out and replace it with something else.

TCDS_EASA_IM_A_077_PA_46_issue_17_pdf

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I really don’t know but the single serial number route may have been used to get an EASA reg.

Very unlikely (See this article regarding FAA STC on EASA aircraft and preclusions due to noise changes, not basic etc.)

Instead, it might be that the STC was validated pre EASA and is grandfathered. I know a few D and OE jetprops that recently changed country of registration and the fact that they are Jetprop conversions was not an issue.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 27 Sep 19:24
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Instead, it might be that the STC was validated pre EASA and is grandfathered.

Interesting. Would that mean it was validated based on FAA STC before EASA and then grandfarthered later in EASA without an EASA STC as such?

Are all EASA countrys CAA obligated to accept it going on their register if grandfarthered or is up for them to decide?

THY
EKRK, Denmark

Interesting. Would that mean it was validated based on FAA STC before EASA and then grandfarthered later in EASA without an EASA STC as such?

Yes.

Are all EASA countrys CAA obligated to accept it going on their register if grandfarthered

Yes.

or is up for them to decide?

No. However, some validated STCs from decades ago are hidden on paper files in CAA archives… and not easily available to find via the internet.

EASA website:

Why can’t I find an STC on the EASA STC List?
The Agency applies its best efforts to ensure completeness of this list.

The EASA STC list compiles Supplemental Type Certificates issued by EASA since 03/06/2004. All EASA STCs are published except:

‘Grandfathered’ STCs issued by the EU Member States prior to 29/09/2003.
STCs issued by Switzerland (FOCA) prior to 2007
Recently issued STCs may not yet appear on the list

XXXXXXXX

What are grandfathered approvals?
Any STC approved or validated by an EASA Member State before the establishment of EASA is deemed to be approved under Regulation (EU) No 748/2012 Article 4.

XXXXXXXX

How do I know whether an FAA / TCCA STC has been validated by EASA?
An STC can be considered to be EASA approved if it satisfies one of the following conditions:

- It has been validated by EASA after 28 September 2003 (ref. EU Regulation No 748/2012, Article 4).

In this case, the corresponding validated STC should be published on the EASA website.

- It has been validated by an EASA Member State before 28 September 2003.

In order to verify whether a foreign STC can be considered EASA approved, we suggest that you contact the STC holder.

Should you require EASA validation of a foreign STC which does not fulfil any of the two conditions above, please request the STC holder to apply.

You may apply for your own STC but need to prove eligibility by demonstrating capability in accordance with 21.A.112B, i.e. by holding a Design Organisation Approval (DOA) or Alternative Procedures to Design Organisation Approval (APDOA), or in the case of products referred to in point 21.A.14(c) by obtaining the EASA’s acceptance of your certification programme, if you are an EASA Member State applicant. Alternatively, you may contact a DOA of your choice.

Non-EASA Member State applicants do not need to demonstrate part 21 eligibility if a bilateral agreement/working arrangement is in force.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 27 Sep 19:56
always learning
LO__, Austria

then you can not just rip it out and replace it with something else.

You can if somebody does an STC for the new avionics

Would that mean it was validated based on FAA STC before EASA and then grandfarthered later in EASA without an EASA STC as such?

Pre-EASA is basically pre-2003, so if any European CAA certified it, EASA had to accept that. There won’t be an EASA record of that; the way this works is that you approach EASA now with evidence of the pre-2003 approval by some CAA. I recall a post about this and looked for it but can’t find it right now.

Administrator

Snoopy wrote:

No. However, some validated STCs from decades ago are hidden on paper files in CAA archives… and not easily available to find via the internet.

Ok thanks. That explains it.

THY
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message