Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 - good to know besides the books/manuals

Pilot-H wrote:

Keep a couple of spare flap/trim motor relays on board.

Or switch to the solid state electronics then you’ll never have an issue with flaps.

+1 for me with regards COPA; having said that, I don’t know what Peter is referring to with regards the policy on personal attacks, I’ve never seen anything untoward however I do know that Copa expect that all members use their true names and some people have signed up with a pseudonym and that was looked upon unkindly.

If you’ve never flown an aircraft with an engine using Lean of Peak operations, study this part on COPA closely because all SR 20 / SR22s are capable of flying in this manner. You’ll fly fast but also economically and save wear and tear on your motor.

EDL*, Germany

The SR22 Turbo lands better with a touch of power added in the flare.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Get full knowledge of avionics setup in particular plane, if you want to fly IFR , it’s essential to just sit in plane hooked up to external power for couple of hours and get to know which box “drives the plane now” , how it does it and how it’s displayed . At least you will reduce “WTF it’s doing now” moments to minimum.

TomF
EPWS

What about the screens going blank due to static discharges around the airframe, when flying through IMC. I have various reports of that. It may have been largely resolved in the later versions. The DA40/42 also suffered from this, despite all these types being certified and thus supposedly having metal mesh within the “plastic” panels which is all joined up electrically. Not that one can do anything about this but knowing the relevant year (of a possible fix) may be a decision factor.

Obviously, as with any aircraft, there must be changes at particular serial numbers. I get asked about this all the time regarding Socatas, so I wonder if there is a summary anywhere. This seems to be a prebuy query so it would be applicable.

Did they replace the trim motor relays with solid state relays?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, it`s important to know if Snoopy wants to buy Cirrus or rent it, if he wants tu buy it – then better join COPA , it saved me a lot of money on maintenance and trouble-shooting.

TomF
EPWS

I am just renting.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

What about the screens going blank due to static discharges around the airframe, when flying through IMC. I have various reports of that. It may have been largely resolved in the later versions.

There have been reports about individual G5 planes suffering from excessive P-Static. It requires a careful check of the grounding of each and every little piece of metal that is exposed on the outside of the plane, which takes a few hours, but then it seems to be possible to resolve. It doesn’t seem to be so much a question of the model number, but rather of each individual plane’s grounding.

Edit: I dug up the thread on COPA (“My Cirrus is trying to kill me”) and have to add that on this particular G5, it didn’t seem to be possible to resolve the P-Static issues, so Cirrus bought it back and gave the affected owner a new G6.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 20 Dec 14:25

Could this be related to the reported lack of static wicks, or this ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems that having wicks installed as per Service Bulletin SB2X-23-03R1 is still no guarantee that you won’t see P-Static. On the plane in question that was bought back, they tried installing wicks but that didn’t seem to resolve the issues.

@Snoopy

In Cirrus it’s important to : " fly the numbers " , especially on approach, know avionics setup, know about LOP ops. , remember about overheating brakes and remember that chokes on almost all airports are to big to fit under Cirrus wheel pants, you need to carry your
own
If you never flown it and have some pilot handy , who knows this Cirrus and flies it regularly , hook up with him and fly it together for couple of hours. It may save your beacon. If you rent, you can forget about all the maintenance BS, let owner cares about it.

TomF
EPWS
Sign in to add your message