Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Used Piper Meridian (and others)

AdamFrisch wrote:

How much are the used Meridians now?

From older Meggitt aircraft in the $600-800k area (usually with GTNs now) to G1000 at say $1.2mn.

EGTK Oxford

Check out next months Pilot Magazine with a comparison of a Cirrus SR22 G5 and a Piper Meridian of equal cost. The results may surprise….

Could you post a summary here? Almost nobody on EuroGA is going to buy a UK pilot mag

I would be amazed if a G5 cost $2M or whatever the Meridian costs. OTOH, you can obviously buy a used TBM-class plane for the cost of a new SR22. But you can also buy a used bizjet for the price of a new SR22…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The SR22 is suddenly pressurised? That would indeed be a surprise!
It suddenly has six seats? Or a proper weather radar? Again that would be surprising.

If it turns out that over short legs is gets to the destination in around the same time, that would not be surprising at all.

Biggin Hill

JasonC wrote:

From older Meggitt aircraft in the $600-800k area (usually with GTNs now) to G1000 at say $1.2mn.

How is the maintenance situation with the Meggitt avionics? I once read an article saying that it is near impossible to get parts outside the US, as there were problems with exportation due to sensitive technlology which was not allowed to leave the US in parts?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Could you post a summary here? Almost nobody on EuroGA is going to buy a UK pilot mag
I would be amazed if a G5 cost $2M or whatever the Meridian costs. OTOH, you can obviously buy a used TBM-class plane for the cost of a new SR22. But you can also buy a used bizjet for the price of a new SR22…

I shouldn’t post any details until publication date which is about 3 weeks away. But afterwards I would be happy to show my calculations of comparative operating cost between a C340A, SR22 and PA46T. The MEP and SET are from experience and the SR22 from public specifications, forum data and anything else I could find. The calculations included everything that actually costs us that we are all very skilled at ignoring.

As for acquisition cost then no, the aircraft couldn’t be similar ages. The comparison is based on what you can buy for the same amount of cash and then what it costs to run based on 100 hours/year.

Lydd

How is the maintenance situation with the Meggitt avionics? I once read an article saying that it is near impossible to get parts outside the US, as there were problems with exportation due to sensitive technlology which was not allowed to leave the US in parts?

All the Meggitt Magic components are still supported although I have heard it’s expensive. The Meggitt EAI, EHSI, EDU & DAU are supported by Genesys Aerosystems (S-Tec) and Meggitt is still responsible for the system’s ADAHRS. There is no option but to have the Engine Displays and Data Acquisition Units repaired if they fail but lots of options for the rest with G500 being the obvious choice. I actually think the presentations on the EAI and EHSI are great. Large, clear and all main functions accessed with dedicated function hardware controls rather than multi-level selections. But I am prepared if anything fails it’s false economy to repair and I will need to spend some on a panel upgrade.

This is not so bad as the investment in a panel upgrade definitely lifts the value of a Meggitt Meridian – not by the whole upgrade cost of course but a reasonable fraction of it. So many options here, may be the subject of a new post looking for opinion…….

Lydd

Not sure how much of the airframe is inspected for the Silver Eagle 210 programme, but good condition relatively low time versions may be around $600k?

They also seem to hold their value, despite being conversions of old P210 airframes.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Is it correct, but generally the SET class seems to hold their value quite well?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

How is the maintenance situation with the Meggitt avionics?

I was told when my Meggit Magic dispays were playing up that I might as well change it now for a Garmin G500 and enjoy it as any prospective buyer in the future would only knock off the cost of a Garmin G500 anyway.

The only place for Meggit Magic is in the bin …. before it tries to kill you!

We need a Meridian versus Jetprop comparison thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message