Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Single Engine Turboprop “Declaration” to abide by EASA’s requirements

10 Posts

I recently found this online.
Tried searching here, but couldn’t find anything on the subject.

If I read it properly, any foreign reg’ed SE Turbine, operated by an European operator, must comply.

So if you have a 208 or a Meridian, you fall underneath these new rules?

Am I missing something???

For Europe, August 2016 is approaching fast!

Europe:

If you are based in Europe (or “reside in an EASA State”) or operate an aeroplane which is registered in a non-EASA State (such as one on the N-reg) but is established or resides in Europe, you will need by 25th August 2016 to have submitted your “Declaration” to abide by EASA’s requirements.

This applies to aeroplanes:

With a maximum certificated take-off mass exceeding 5700 kg, or
Certificated for a maximum passenger seating configuration of more than 19, or
Certificated for operation with a minimum crew of at least two pilots, or
Equipped with (a) turbojet engine(s) or more than one turboprop engine
i.e. nearly all private and business jets and turbo props

Few will disagree that EASA’s way of promulgating the rules are difficult to follow – we nostalgically remember the relative simplicity of JAR-Ops and its successor. (EASA’s website and associated support is now improving but it’s still a dog’s dinner)

As a private operator, you will need not only a good grasp of Regulation EU 6/2013 that amends Regulation 216/2008 (the “Basic regulation”) but also Decisions 2014/017 (Part-ORO = Organisation Requirements Operations); Decision 965/2012 (Part-NCC = Non-Commercial Complex) and Decision 2013/020 (Part–SPA = Specific Approval).

It is also a good idea to have a look at Decision 2015/007 (Part-CAT = Commercial Air Transport) – it includes several nuggets useful for private ops.

You will need a management system that includes a Safety Management Systems with an Emergency Response Plan and a Fatigue Management Scheme.

Finally, you will also need a proper MEL; the FAA Part 91 policy of using a Master MEL as an MEL will not be acceptable.

spirit49
LOIH

spirit49 wrote:

So if you have a 208 or a Meridian, you fall underneath these new rules?

Am I missing something???

Yes, it only applies to twin turboprops and even KingAirs got an exemption unless over 5700kg.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks Jason

spirit49 wrote:

take-off mass exceeding 5700 kg, or

So that should read AND instead of OR then??

spirit49
LOIH

spirit49 wrote:

more than one turboprop engine

I guess the regs you are referring to are part-NCC (non-commercial operations with complex airplanes). Note the requirement for more than one turboprop engine, and even then there is an exemption so that ME turboprops with a MTOM less than 5700 kg can operate under part-NCO.

So that should read AND instead of OR then??

No, it is correct as written, but doesn’t tell the whole story. It omits mention of the exemption.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Essentially you have to register if over 5700kg or you have a turbojet engine.

EGTK Oxford

Airborne_Again wrote:

It omits mention of the exemption.

That explains it.
Thank you.

spirit49
LOIH

Airborne_Again wrote:

Note the requirement for more than one turboprop engine, and even then there is an exemption so that ME turboprops with a MTOM less than 5700 kg can operate under part-NCO.

Do you have a reference to the exemption, please?

ELLX

This thread seems to be on a similar topic to the old EASA proposal (which later died) here (search for EASA Complex). That was also just jets or ME TPs. It was widely believed that it was a finger-up by the EU to the USA, since Europe led the SE TP field (TBM and PC12) while the USA led the ME TP field (King Air)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lionel wrote:

On the EASA Website

The derogation to allow non-commercial operations of twin turboprop aeroplanes, with a MCTOM of 5 700 kg and below, to be operated under Part-NCO (Non-Commercial Operations) rules instead of Part-NCC was published in Regulation (EU) No 2016/1199 which amends Reg. (EU) NO 965/2012. It is included in Article 6.
Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

lionel wrote:

On the EASA Website

Indeed. It is right there in the regulation, article 6(8). Thanks!

Last Edited by lionel at 31 Jan 20:48
ELLX
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message