Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airfields in Airspace G (Vis/Ceiling req)

Hello everyone

I have an odd question here, and I thought you guys know the AIPs in Europe better than I do:

Is there a country which prohibits participation in the circuit, or prohibits landing/takeoff in Airspace G, when visibility is less than 5km or if the ceiling is less than 1’500ft?

My experience is that with a special VFR clearance you can go below those numbers in controlled airspace. However in airspace G there is no such restriction, at least in the USA.

Thanks. I wonder if there is a restriction somewhere…

Cheers

ArcticChiller wrote:

Is there a country which prohibits participation in the circuit, or prohibits landing/takeoff in Airspace G, when visibility is less than 5km or if the ceiling is less than 1’500ft?

Your numbers are valid if you fly faster than 140kt IAS. In airspace G, when flying slower than 140kt IAS, the minima are: 1,5km visibility and “clear of clouds”, observing the minimum altitude of 500ft. If an airfield is inside this airspace, the same minima apply – 1,5km and a ceiling of 500ft is sufficient.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I guess Sera.5005(b) confused me a bit. In English it lists Control zone, or traffic circuit, etc., while in French it repeatedly states “cet aerodrome”, so that the listed ATZ, circuit etc. still has to be in that control zone.

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 11 Oct 18:25
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message