Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airline insisting on 90%+ exam pass marks

RobertL18C wrote:

Ryanair expects first time passes in the exams and the CPL and IR.

How can they know?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

90% proves one thing only. The student possesses the capability to learn the correct answers to a given set of questions.

Passing a test also illustrates a person’s ability to function, and to make the correct decisions, in a situation of stress. Which a test always is, to some degree.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I passed the exams at the DGAC at the end of June and they don’t give you any marks besides pass/fail …

Regarding training monkeys to pass with high marks… yeah I get that it’s an easy way to filter the crowd but does it make any sense ? At the end of the day they might as well ask you to study the phone book…

Airborne_Again wrote:

How can they know?

They can probably ask you to show the skill test record. It has a check box saying “first time application” or “repetition after failed test”.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 21 Jul 10:01
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I am much less than a monkey too

But I can understand what_next is getting at.

One has to see this not in the context of the 20 year old ATPL student who can set aside a year of his/her life and live in the FTO/hotel environment (and who has no excuse for getting less than 90%, especially when his mates living in the same hotel are doing his FTO homework for him) but in the context of an active private pilot who is, on average, 20-30 years older and struggles to find the time and brain space for learning material which – to anybody with flying experience – is immediately obvious as containing a lot of material which is, ahem, less than directly relevant. Especially if the private pilot is doing exams which are needed for political reasons only (the EASA FCL attack on N-regs for example) when the whole thing is likely to be regarded with revulsion.

Very few private pilots enter the airline scene and my guess is that those that do will (unless too old, which most would be) get a bit further in the interview even if their exam average was only 75.1%

They can probably ask you to show the skill test record

That, yes for the flight test, but I don’t think written exam passes / re-takes are recorded long-term. I suppose the interviewer could infer that you re-took some from the dates having exactly 1 month gaps, and you didn’t spot that gap and got caught in a trap That would work for the UK, anyway. A bit like when you interview somebody with a 5 year gap in their CV… did they spend 5 years in jail for armed robbery, worked as an assasin for the CIA, etc.

Also I am not sure that the student’s training record is given to the student.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lol, I’ve seen people scoring some damn high results in their ATPL’s but in reality I wouldn’t let them fly a kite.

My friend who just got into Ryanair, had an average of 84%. Passed the assessment with flying colours,technical, sim, etc.

Bear in mind that 75% to 100% in atpl exams is in fact very very small difference. In Mass and Balance or similar subjects, 3 or 4 wrong answers out of 30 total will put you in mid 80’s percentage wise. That certainly doesn’t mean your a low grade student or monkey.

It’s not like in primary school,errors margins are extremely small, you either pass them or you don’t.

And to answer RobertL18C, during his assessment, not once was he asked about any of his results or achievements.. It all depends on the individual.

Evo400

Kerwin wrote:

I get that it’s an easy way to filter the crowd but does it make any sense ?

Any other ideas? If you are at the HR of Lufthansa and get a thousand resumes that you have to bring down to 20 you want to invite, how do you start? You cannot spend 2 hours talking with each guy to see if the test results actually show his knowledge or not, so you just take the scores and go from there.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

You could certainly develop a written test for specific areas of aptitude, personality, and even basic IQ. This is a very old science. I remember sitting one when I was 16 and applying for a job at a firm making telex machines (ITT Creed).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Evo400 I believe the first time pass requirement is part of the pre screening and may be on the application form, but Ryanair do vary entry requirements. I agree they don’t appear to ask for exam results.

On another point raised in the thread, the requirement for 200 hours actual IR still stands for IR instruction. The old 800 hours was for IFR flight plan hours, and one hour actual counted for four hours IFR flight plan. Not sure how it was policed, but for most log books the pattern of real airways experience should have been straightforward.

It did mean that VFR Night rating instructors in the UK, when all night was under IFR, might qualify for the experience standard – although that would be a lot of night rating instruction.

The requirement is causing some bottle necks amongst the integrated supply chain providers, as their older IR instructors hang up their headsets.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You could certainly develop a written test for specific areas of aptitude, personality, and even basic IQ.

That’s what they do, but only with 100 of the 1000 applicants they get. To get rid of those 900, they use the 90% mark because they got nothing else.

Peter wrote:

That, yes for the flight test, but I don’t think written exam passes / re-takes are recorded long-term.

They might not be kept on file, but you can ask for a printout, at least here with our German LBA.

Krister_L wrote:

Gosh, that’s blunt. Thanks. I’m less than a monkey…

As I wrote, I was deliberately phrasing it in a drastic manner… By the way: Myself, I’m also below monkey level, but I got my ATPL beside a full-time day job 15 years ago when no-one cared for these pass marks and I never cared for an airline job anyway. I am a lazy person and with a requirement of 75% I trained my monkey questionnaire until I achieved 76% and went to the exam thereafter

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message