Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airport with a maximum crosswind figure

@Peter Do you know if the LFAT limit is based on average or maximum speed, and do they work out a crosswind component?
I was there too on Saturday, took off about 3pm local, and was given wind 230 13kts max 23kts, I guess it could easily have picked up another couple of knots and 230 is almost right across. I had no idea there was a risk of being held there. I would think a landing limit would be more relevant than a takeoff limit.

United Kingdom

I don’t know how the DC3’s operate here Quote

https://www.awi.de/en/expedition/aircraft/polar-5-6.html

I’ve got a few hours flying Polar 5 testing in its early days. Though I did not push it to it’s crosswind capability, I’ve seen some pretty great crosswind flying while riding jump seat to the pilots who really fly them well. DC-3’s have lots of rudder and aileron effectiveness.

It should be left to the pilot who is supposed to know the limits of his aircraft and his own craftmanship.Quote

I see it both ways, it’s the airport staff who have to deal with over eager pilots, and they generally have a pretty good idea of the local phenomenon. My experience has been that local pilots, who they know are familiar and capable often have relaxed rules. Ultimately, the airport is a place where permission may be required, and that permission may be conditional.

[ quote fixed – need space after bq. ]

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Do you know if the LFAT limit is based on average or maximum speed, and do they work out a crosswind component?

Instantaneous crosswind component afaict.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message