Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airspace infringement - what would have happened?

Did it in Frankfurt on the way to Egelsbach. My ears turned red hot and the barrage did not stop until it was time to change the frequency. This barrage knocked me out of balance and my whole nav. went pear shape.

Now, that’s really unprofessional and nothing that improves flight safety. ATC should give you a number to call after landing and nothing else on the frequency.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Now, that’s really unprofessional and nothing that improves flight safety. ATC should give you a number to call after landing and nothing else on the frequency.

I rather get a rant on the radio which is then over instead of some offline process set in motion that could result in something much worse, depending on who gets involved. Very often it’s ATC’s discretion what to make of your mistake so you’re a bit at mercy. I only once had the “ready to copy phone number” thing in Germany but several times in the US. It’s not very common over here.

Totally agrees.. The frequency can be jammed by security related messages anyway. A controller publicly humiliating himself by publicly humiliating some poor pilot is nothing anyone is interested to hear. Annoying at least, dangerous if security related messages are blocked out.

ESG..., Sweden

I got publicly humiliated by a french big iron driver for crossing the Geneva ILS approach axis while actually being below the TMA floor and OCAS and making him squirm in his seat. He went on and on and on about how it is totally inacceptable and how he’d have to file a report. You’d think on a 5 mile final he’d have better things to do.

Yes, the omnipresence of TCAS in airliners is indeed becoming a big problem for VFR GA flyers.

In consequence, airspace planners will grab more and more class A/B/C/D until all TCAS units stop blaring.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I got that once in Italy. VFR, in CAS, cleared A-B-C.

At B, handed over to a controller who told me to get out of CAS.

He wouldn’t tell me which direction he wanted me to leave. He just yelled at me. It was near the Adriatic coast so I just turned east and continued the flight mid-way down the Adriatic.

However, every job has good and bad people in it, and everybody can have a bad day. In a bizzare exchange, I had one French controller quiz me on whether I thought my altitude was the right one. Eventually I realised he wanted me to fly at an odd altitude instead of even (this was OCAS) and then he laughed and said something like “you’ve got it”.

Has something changed with airliner procedures recently? They have had TCAS for decades. In places like the Luton-Stansted gap, what happens when there is GA at 100ft below CAS and they are 500ft above the base of CAS? It doesn’t happen much but I have many times seen traffic on TCAS 500ft above the 3500/4500/5500 bits of the LTMA north of Shoreham, so the vertical separation is only 600ft, or 500ft if somebody is only just below.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

He just yelled at me.

That kind of stories make my blood curl. What are these people thinking?

LFPT, LFPN
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message