Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Along the Blue Spruce Routes to the USA

Great adventure!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I just finished writing about Day 2 on our way to Oshkosh: Stuck in Reykjavik, Iceland. Mainly doing some touristy stuff there, but also preparing for Day 3, our longest day.

Check it out here:

https://www.abeam.be/day-2-stuck-in-reykjavik-along-the-blue-spruce-routes-to-the-usa/

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

A nice couple, Germany, popped into Oxford in their Beech 36 having spent two months touring the USA and making the pilgrimage to Oshkosh.

Edit. It would be interesting to get information on applying for your B-1 visa for USA entry.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 27 Aug 17:16
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Great write up, thanks a lot @Niner_Mike!

The Seneca has always been a favorite of mine and it looks to me as the perfect airplane for such a trip. Looking forward to the continuation.

This got my attention:

Combining this with engine monitor and GAMIjectors gave me a fuel burn of 2x 10,2 GpH at 62% at full MTOW and ISA +9°, and a TAS of 176 KTAS at 18’000 ft: not bad for a 42 year old airplane. At 47% I can reduce to 2x 8,4 GpH still yielding a TAS of 161 KTAS at 18’000 ft, giving me an acceptable range including reserves

WOW. These are really excellent values for a Seneca III. And clearly, you took a lot of time to figure out how to fly this plane in perfect economy. Maybe one day you might want to do a write up on the Seneca III, I am sure there will be people interested. I’ve flown the original Seneca I (with Rajays though) as well as the II and III, but that was 1990 and so, so it’s mostly sweet memories by now.

I am quite impressed too by the fact that someone is crossing the Atlantic in a Cheetah! Even though I know of someone who has brought two of them over from the States too.

(Something I’ve been wondering, maybe someone here knows: This particular and some other Cheetahs carry what looks like the British Airways Landor livery or something close to it. How come? This airframe used to be registered in the UK and has been sold to Germany by the looks of it (was G-BGFI before) but I also recall another AA5 which had some history here being in this livery? Does anyone know how that is possible? I find it pretty cool actually.

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/search?tag=AA5A-0733

)

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 28 Aug 21:05
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Hey!

Here is Day 3 of our trip to Oshkosh: the longest day with the longest flight all the way from Reykjavik to Kuujjuaq in the middle of nowhere Canada. We conquer the icecap, see too many icebergs, fuel twice from barrels and end up in a bar full of drunk eating Poutine.
https://www.abeam.be/day-3-the-longest-day-birk-bgsf-cyfb-cyvp-along-the-blue-spruce-routes-to-the-usa/

All reactions welcome !

Niner Mike.

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 02 Sep 05:56
Abeam the Flying Dream

Wow! What a great pictures in your blog. I’m tempted to plan something similar for the next summer.

Last Edited by Emir at 02 Sep 11:28
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Great! Keep it coming.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Different eyes, different styles, different views… and that’s probably what makes us Humans (maybe) unique (on Earth)

Still, enjoying the read, thanks!

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Emir wrote:

Wow! What a great pictures in your blog. I’m tempted to plan something similar for the next summer.

Way easier with a JET A1 burning airplane :-)

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Thank you for your reactions, guys!
Doing this with JetA1 would have been more comfortable than with avgas for sure.

Here is Day 4 of our adventure: from the North of Canada into the USA and ready to fly to Oshkosh the next day: starter problems, barrels, thunderstorms, weird French but in general a series of relaxed flights.

https://www.abeam.be/day-4-entering-the-states-cyvp-cykl-cyvo-katw-along-the-blue-spruce-routes-to-the-usa/

All feedback welcome!

Niner Mike

Last Edited by Niner_Mike at 09 Sep 08:04
Abeam the Flying Dream
Sign in to add your message