Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Altlantic, Canada, US IFR charts

I’ve become a complete convert to Foreflight over the last year or so.

Really? I thought you always preferred 50s technology.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I really like Foreflight and have been using it for 3 years. But I’ve just let my subscription lapse having got a very good deal on a Garmin 795 and GDL39 ADSB receiver.

That gives me a choice of VFR or IFR charts or Garmin vector generated mapping, together with weather and traffic.
Chart subscription is more expensive than Foreflight if you need absolutely current charts, but VFR use with twice a year updates is on a par. The kit came with a couple of vouchers for 3 months subs to Garmin Pilot which I haven’t used. I did a month trial of Pilot. It wasn’t bad, but overall I preferred Foreflight.

It’s a pity that the different ADSB receivers are tied to different softwares so I can’t use the GDL39 with Foreflight

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I’ve been using Foreflight since patent trolls forced Runway Finder off the air. A couple hundred hours of long cross countries no problem at all. During the same period, my King Panel mount went awol , DG precessed and the compass bottomed out. Long live FF.

It’s a pity that the well meaning SD guys didn’t make a knock off of FF in place of their own strange, quirky and flakey interface. FF has never told me to enter an obscure password in flight, failed to warn me about a fiercly enforced bird sanctuary or reset in flight without warning. Don’t get me wrong – we are lucky to have SD – but FF is sooo much more intuitive and reliable.

I’m thinking of velcroing and iPad mini onto the front of the untrustworthy KLN -94 and an iphone over the compass, both with FF. this is all VFR so not directly applicable to your IFR question. But the days of fixed in place avionics are strictly numbered. Plus, with cell phone coverage at altitude throughout much of the US anf FF gives me real time in flight weather without ADS-B.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Really? I thought you always preferred 50s technology.

Quoting myself, posted earlier…

Light aircraft aren’t cars and their structural, aerodynamic and controls design was pretty well understood by the late 50s. On the other hand, avionics has progressed immeasurably, but there is a tendency to confuse the two.

Foreflight is great…. the comment above about “DG processed and compass bottomed out” made me smile after spending time last weekend working on mine in conjunction with an annual inspection. I hadn’t bothered to get them sorted out properly for two years because I use GPS as primary VFR navigation, with pilotage as back-up.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Jan 05:26

Where does FF’s European VFR mapping come from, and can it run your own georeferenced maps?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Where does FF’s European VFR mapping come from, and can it run your own georeferenced maps?

Presently ForeFlight does not offer any European maps or charts.
See ForeFlight plans and pricing.

Last Edited by ANTEK at 15 Jan 08:07
YSCB

Presently ForeFlight does not offer any European maps or charts.

Interesting. One does hear a great deal about it in Europe and I probably looked at it myself in the distant past…

One cannot compare data pricing in the USA versus Europe. In the USA:

• a lot more competition
  • a much bigger and much more uniform market (European GA is highly fragmented – I think because PPL training is so basic that people who do “take off” all work out their own procedures, and this is even more true for IFR than VFR)
  • free national VFR enroute and airport VFR and IFR charts which unlike the Euro ones are completely cockpit usable – this keeps a lid on what Jepp can charge, at a fraction of the European per-airport rate
  • stuff produced with taxpayer money is by default public domain (AIUI) – the exact opposite is true in Europe

In Europe, Jepp have managed to get into bed with just about everybody who matters (this started to change only in the last couple of years, slowly) and you come across this everywhere you look. For example the Voiceflight product has to charge $25/month for the Jepp data to enable voice flight plan entry, for Europe, which is outrageous since Eurocontrol have all that data.

For Jepp VFR+IFR airport charts, most pilots I know that go places have contacts in the airline/bizjet community and they get them as PDFs, which display very usable in Goodreader on the Ipad, or you can just print them off for flying with (needs no backup then).

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Jan 09:16
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message