Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An interesting new engine development program

I came across this company, Advanced Component Engineering, who seem to be on the right track to develop 21st century parts for Lycoming engines. Currently in the test fase is the AX50, a replacement cylinder of a completely new design.

Link

The new cylinder should give 210 bhp on 87 octane auto gas when mounted on an Lycoming 360 crankcase with less weight than the parallel valve IO-360. This could become an ideal engine for the Vans RV series and other experimentals like the Pitts. Flight testing has started on the first engine.

From left to right: AX50, parallel valve and angle valve cylinders.

Some more info on their Facebook page.

Link

Last Edited by it_flies at 27 Feb 20:42
EHLE

This is very interesting, and follows on from an earlier EuroGA thread tangent in which cylinder blow-by was mentioned. These cylinders are all aluminum meaning they may have Nikasil coated bores, like an air cooled motorcycle cylinder. That allows much smaller cylinder-to-bore clearances and thereby much reduced blow-by and oil consumption. When this was done on large displacement air cooled motorcycle engines in the 80s, oil consumption dropped to about zero.

I’d assumed that various factors like the Lycoming design placing the cylinders in tension (no cylinder through bolts) and maybe the need for fine pitch cooling fins might preclude all-aluminum Lycoming cylinders. Note how much larger the cylinders are to get enough fin area with thicker aluminum fins… but it seemingly fits and works.

Neat stuff

PS having looked at the PDF spec sheet Link, I see they’re Hypereutectic Si-Al sleeved and don’t incorporate directly applied Nikasil, but depending on the sleeve and piston materials it can still work out similarly in terms of tight cylinder clearances.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Feb 03:57

I agree that this is a very interesting development. This is the first time that I know of that someone has designed a completely new cylinder for any of the old aircraft engines.

That allows much smaller cylinder-to-bore clearances and thereby much reduced blow-by and oil consumption.

Modern materials and manufacturing, electronic ignition with knock sensors and the use of unleaded fuel should offer a real advancement in the operation of piston aircraft engines. I hope the new design allows the use of fuels that are blended with ethanol.

Two versions a currently planned. An IO-386 with 210 bhp and an IO-429 with 265 bhp. The 386 parts can all be bolted on. The 429 uses a newly designed crankshaft and needs machining of the crankcase. I read the Wiki on Hypereutectic alloys and modern engines certainly have improved a lot. My car has a 1.6 liter diesel engine that even with 20.000 km service intervals has never needed a top up of engine oil. This is way better than the engines of twenty years ago.

Apart from the new technolgy, in my view the key will be to get enough market traction to be able to offer them at a competitive price point. They probably could design similar products for Continental engines.

EHLE

This will probably never be certified. Oil consumption isn’t a major issue and doesn’t justify a large R&D effort to improve it. More horsepower won’t work either because the crankcase, crankshaft, bearings etc. are not designed for more. Lycoming/Continental haven’t even managed to certify electronic ignition although that is fairly trivial and adds considerable value.

My car has a 1.6 liter diesel engine that even with 20.000 km service intervals has never needed a top up of engine oil.

Apart from being chimp technology, aero engines are air cooled whereas your diesel is liquid cooled. Air cooled engines operate in a much wider temperature range and see a much larger distribution of temperatures throughout the engine which requires much larger tolerances between parts. It doesn’t have to be as bad as with Lycoming and Continental which represent 1950s technology but it will always be a different animal than your liquid cooled car engine.

Aero diesels are more similar to car engines and have virtually no blow by. However, they also have the very open crankcases of gasoline aero engines which car engines do not have.

Last Edited by achimha at 28 Feb 15:38

Usually the way this kind of development works is that after the ‘first adopters’, air racers etc, work out most of the major bugs, the RV guys and their brethren adopt en mass. After about 10 years of that, certified customers get interested and an STC results. I have a friend who has done a number of component developments that way and now sells his stuff to airframe OEMs, certified aircraft owners by STC and amateur builders. I think Diamond was his first OEM customer, in about 1993. Its basically the intent of the FAA Experimental Category, and he makes a very good living out of it.

I see a strong analogy between Lycomings and US built V8 car engines. They’ve both ended up being timeless because the initial concept was right, they led the pack initially and everything else works out as more expensive. Detail development over time can and probably will improve them for many more decades, and a lot of it will be done by the aftermarket – the Experimental, STC and PMA systems mean that aircraft and engine development is not a centrally controlled activity.

Piston to cylinder clearances for aluminum air-cooled cylinders are about the same as a water cooled engine, i.e. very tight. Aluminum bored cylinders were a big advance in the 70s and 80s when introduced on motorcycles and in addition to the cylinder sealing improvement, bore wear with Nikasil dropped to approximately zero. The initial work by GM, BMW and others on water cooled car engines without iron sleeves had some significant problems, but when applied to air cooled cylinders there were no problems with Nikasil that I recall. It’ll be interesting to see how this hypereutectic Si-Al sleeve thing works out in comparison; its not blindingly clear to me why they went in that direction.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Feb 17:52

This will probably never be certified.

You may well be right but not everyone needs or wants a certified engine. For every new Panthera there will probably be fifty Vans RV’s completed. I mentioned my car engine not to compare it to aircraft engines but to illustrate advancements in engine design. If this development leads to Lycoming based engines moving forward from 1950’s technolgy to 1990’s technology it’s still a big step forward.

EHLE

For every new Panthera there will probably be fifty Vans RV’s completed.

My guess would by 11,000 RVs flying to perhaps 50 Pantheras, five years from now.

The reason that Lycomings remain preeminent in GA, supported by Continentals that are perhaps a little less robust and 1980s Rotaxes for low power applications, is because buyers think they are the best tools for the job, in 2014. Knocking established players is a favorite activity of armchair engineers, but reality tends to continue unimpeded. The push rod Chevy V8 car engine introduced in 1955 works well in 2014 too, makes 460 HP while weighing very little, and works well in an appropriate application. Its one reason a new Corvette goes fast and costs Euro 37K. Link

I think there are many good reasons why Lycomings will be developed by the aviation community in a similar fashion, for similar reasons. The people who will actually pay for the development, buying the parts with their own money, are flying $60K experimental category aircraft and aren’t interested in buying heavy, complex, vastly expensive new engines.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Feb 18:59

The people who will actually pay for the development, buying the parts with their own money, are flying $60K experimental category aircraft and aren’t interested in buying heavy, complex, vastly expensive new engines.

Funny you should mention that. I took a serious look at a share in a very nice Pitts S-2S last summer but the cost of operating a certified Pitts with an IO-540 in Holland is pretty horrific. I’ve been tempted since to price the components to build a WolfPro S1 Link. The only aircraft I might have enough interest in to spend my hard earned on an expensive aviation engine. The way I would do that is to buy a crankcase with a serviceable crankshaft and build the engine from components. With avgas at over 3 euros a litre over here to be able to run the engine on car fuel would be significant for me.

Last Edited by it_flies at 28 Feb 21:38
EHLE

AEIO-540s making full power for aerobatics are expensive to run even without paying outrageous fuel tax.

Lower compression Lycoming variants like my O-320 run fine on auto fuel – my certified plane was STC’d for auto fuel years ago and run on it for a long time. In Europe you have the advantage of still being able to buy it without alcohol. Its certainly possible build similar non-certified engines from parts. A guy I know built an injected O-320 for under $15K using some new parts, some yellow tagged parts and some red tagged parts that had trivial non-conformances. He’s been flying it from about 7 years now, and the plane made the cover of one of the US national magazines. It shows every sign of going to TBO without issue.

Another friend has a S1S and keeps encouraging me to buy a $20K Experimental S1C so we can tear around in them together. However landing at ~100 kts without forward view intimidates me a bit! We go out in his Citabria every once in a while so I can practice flying from the back seat. I flew front seat in a S2C a while ago, did some rolls etc and it stands out as one of coolest things I’ve done. Its more fun to turn the horizon when your view is framed by the wings.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Feb 22:05

However landing at ~100 kts without forward view intimidates me a bit!

100 Kts is way too fast in a Pitts even on long final. I use 100 mph (not knots) in the S-2A. In an S-1C this can be lower still. Touchdown is probably around 70 mph in the S-2A. The lack of forward visibility isn’t a real problem either. You can either dip the nose from time to time or hold some sideslip until just before touchdown. The trickiest bit of landing a Pitts is to keep it running straight after touchdown without overcorrecting. The key here is to land without any drift.

While Pitts flying isn’t for everyone it is quite doable. I soloed an S-2A with 68 hrs TT so you don’t need that much prior experience. (I did do my PPL on a tailwheel aircraft.) It does require determination and focus and a pilot who likes to fly by ‘feel’ instead of ‘numbers’. I’ve flown the S-2A/B/C and Extra 300L now but the best thing about the Pitts is that you get more feedback through the controls than the newer monoplanes. If you get the chance to fly an S-1 I wouldn’t hesitate. I don’t think flying backseat in a Citabria will really help that much. Just go to Tutima in King City and Ben or Ken will sort you out in no time.

Do you think it’s possible to run an IO-386 on mogas with 10-15% ethanol if the fuel lines can take it or are there any other problems?

Last Edited by it_flies at 01 Mar 19:51
EHLE
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message