Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An unusual French aeroclub, at Annemasse?

Zorg wrote:

Income tax levels are not hugely different between Geneva and Vaud

Oh ok, that is interesting. I remember when I was told by people whom I worked with at the time that they could never afford to pay the taxes in the canton of Geneva, let alone in the city itself. I just had a check and it appears that Geneva now is actually cheaper. Looking at that, yea, there have been some massive changes. Geneve used to dark red in the past.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Geneve used to dark red in the past.

Things are being slightly more enforced across the border in France now as well making it a little bit less attractive to become “frontalier” ie live in France and work in Switzerland. Social security as an example now “forces” frontalier workers to subscribe to the French social security system which is very costly. The authorities are equally clamping down on company cars (now taxed 7K euros a year I believe) making it less interesting for people to do this. I guess quite a few people have made the decision to stay in Switzerland and not move to neighbouring France. Interesting fact about the Geneva Canton is that it has a 96Km border with France and a 4KM border with the rest of CH…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

What is this Switzerland VAT nonsense? Can I not fly our Swedish registered EU-made Reims 172 into Switzerland for a week on vacations? How would any French planes be any different?

ESME, ESMS

Yea, I heard things like that from colleagues who live there. I wonder how people do who live in Switzerland and have planes in France.

At the time when I was working in Geneva, people were living in VD rather than the canton of Geneva due to tax difference. It appears however that this has inverted itself and Geneva is now much cheaper tax wise than Vaud.

I also know some people who have moved to France in retirement. Wonder how they are faring now. I was interested a few years ago in maybe buying a property in France for vaccations but was told by people who have them not to in quite strong terms, as you can end up in a fiscal disaster. That was during the times when Obelix became a Russian though… maybe it has normalized?

Dimme wrote:

Can I not fly our Swedish registered EU-made Reims 172 into Switzerland for a week on vacations? How would any French planes be any different?

You are a resident of the EU and your plane is under EU register? No problem then. If you were a Swiss resident, then you can’t fly a EU registered plane into here. And you are not allowed to fly a non-EU plane into the EU unless it has been VAT paid there.

How do they know where I’m a resident?

Last Edited by Dimme at 29 Oct 15:07
ESME, ESMS

Arne wrote:

For the region maybe, but eye-watering for many other places.

What’s the going rate for a PA46 normally?

always learning
LO__, Austria

No idea but you can get a PA32 for 240 eur and any of the small ones around 130 eur.

Wet per airborne hour.

ESME, ESMS

You are a resident of the EU and your plane is under EU register? No problem then. If you were a Swiss resident, then you can’t fly a EU registered plane into here. And you are not allowed to fly a non-EU plane into the EU unless it has been VAT paid there.

Can’t be quite that simple.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

I guess quite a few people have made the decision to stay in Switzerland and not move to neighbouring France.

Don’t forget non-EU/EFTA people (which is not an uncommon case at all in Geneva) ordinarily don’t have a choice but living in Switzerland, if their employer is in Switzerland, due to the residence / work permit situation.

For a reasonably well-paying job in Geneva, living across the border in France would be hardly rational due to the tax difference, despite the cheaper cost of living (rent, shopping, real estate) — except for special cases, such as US citizens. The French villages and cities surrounding Geneva are not exactly known for their attractiveness, and commuting by car into Geneva must be hell (public transport across the border is amazingly bad, although improvements are being realized, cf. Léman Express).

Last Edited by Zorg at 29 Oct 20:06
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM
Sign in to add your message