Analysis of UK transponder carriage

10 Posts

here

Just 27% have a transponder!

This little bit is pretty relevant

Any opinions on what % of the below-750kg aircraft

• have no electrical system, or
  • have an electrical system but don’t want to be visible
  • have an electrical system but can’t afford a transponder (but can afford to fly)

Sadly they didn’t survey flying patterns. I am certain there is a massive correlation between non-carriage (or carrying one but it is either Mode A or is intentionally set to Mode A) and flying below 1500-2000ft, and that this is greater than any by-weight differentiation.

Analysis_of_UK_Transponder_Carriage_2014_pdf

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I suspect a few things:

1. There is a massive correlation between non carriage of transponders and not flying at all. There are a lot of registered aircraft without a C of A
2. Almost no Microlights, gyrocopters, Hang Gliders, or Paragliders etc carry transponders
3. Very few gliders carry a transponder

Therefore, a more realistic way to look at it is that of the approx. 11,500 Fixed wing and Helicopeters registered, about 7500 have transponders.
If you then allow for aircraft stored and on the register but without a C of A I would say the transponder take up is in fact 75% plus.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’m astonished that the number is so low. Most people around here (including the microlight users with airworthy aircraft) have at least mode C. I have a transponder in our antique Auster on an LAA permit (and I wouldn’t want to fly without it, it makes things work much better in controlled airspace). I think Neil’s assessment is probably closer to the mark – powered aircraft that are airworthy and getting flown most likely have at least Mode C.

Andreas IOM

Would there be so many powered aircraft that are still registered but abandoned?

That costs serious money…

Even grass parking is a few hundred quid a month. Hangarage is 1.5 to 2x more. OK – that doesn’t stop hangars filling up with abandoned aircraft but I have noticed a marked decrease in that number compared with say 10 years ago. Back then, perhaps 1/3 of “my” hangar were effectively abandoned aircraft (and a serious problem re hangarage availability) but now it is close to zero.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

have an electrical system but don’t want to be visible
have an electrical system but can’t afford a transponder (but can afford to fly)

A transponder costs 20-40k (equipment and installation), and it takes space, weight and looks ugly, particularly in a small vintage aircraft. There are so many better things to spend those money on when 99% of the flying is in G. I don’t think people people bother at all with being visible or not, why should they?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

<2k for a permit aircraft.

LeSving wrote:

A transponder costs 20-40k (equipment and installation),

Surely a typo!!??

The more modern small round panel format transponders look OK in my eyes, even on a vintage aircraft

http://www.gps.co.uk/becker-bxp6401-2-01-150w-mode-s-transponder/p-103-323/

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Experimental and microlight aside, mounting a transponder requires some work that you are not able to do yourself. I’m not 100% sure, but re-eqipping even a microlight with a transponder requires special sign off, maybe even a test. A transponder is not like any other instrument.

My Onex does not even have space (depth) for an ordinary transponder. I have to use a “headless” one and integrate it with the EFIS (which actually is kind of cool).

But, re-eqipping an aircraft with a transponder is more hazzle than what it’s worth, unless you actually need it in your everyday ffying.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I suppose I might be the only poster here flying within dense ‘transponder mandatory’ airspace without a transponder, and also in the same airspace with a transponder, on different days. Negative transponder is a bit of a hassle at times, but not too much (at least in the U.S. terminal radar environment) and with a very light plane the issue is not cost, it is weight. Installing a wind driven generator, a battery and electrical bus and a little Becker transponder is a weekend job with A&P help, or a couple of weekends, but you’d gain drag and lose a lot of payload where that is already an issue. Given that the thing climbs out at 400-500 fpm now it’s not very attractive, especially with controllers who are willing to use primary radar and altitude reporting to get you where you need to go. They don’t see many negative transponder planes in my area. one or two a day perhaps, and I guess it gives them a bit of variety.

I had a bit of a scare when seeing the recently released FAA proposal to eliminate the transponder exemption for gliders in some airspace, but then noticed the explicit statement that the NPRM is not intended to affect the exemption for other types of negative transponder aircraft. If a similar NPRM came along that did affect me, I’d sell the puddle jumper or move it outside of the Mode C (and future ADS-B) veil. As LeSving says, I just wouldn’t want to screw up something that’s very nice the way it is.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Aug 14:15

Almost no Microlights, gyrocopters, Hang Gliders, or Paragliders etc carry transponders

That must vary massively from one country to another. To name but one country, I’ll bet you that more than 50% of German ultralights and gyrocopters do carry a transponder, and use it – and a surprisingly large part of them will even be able of mode S.

Regarding hang gliders and paragliders I must agree, and no surprise – imagine yourself composing the “Hang glider and paraglider installation manual for the xyz-123 transponder”?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message