Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another attempt for a flight LSZH - EDTD with more exact information and an approach problem/question

So that message showed up although the active leg was part of the approach? (Sorry have no time to study the chart etc)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Nov 07:53

Yes, exactly. Magenta line from TD003 to VIBEV and then from VIBEV to RWY36 and both times the same message “Approach not activated”.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

IMHO that must be a bug, and I would check the SW version of that GNS430 … if you intend to fly it again. So many people don’t update their stuff regularly, and I think with these units it’s really important. I just bought two 430Ws and they had version 3.x … while 5.20 is the latest one.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 17 Nov 08:02

Completely with you. Will keep my devices up-to-date and as I want them once I have my plane. But while I am renting not much I can do. Except that I applied for a CEO of the club but was not accepted ;)

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

I also knew that today I have no problem landing visual if needed, so safety was assured.

I know, you wrote you were in plenty VMC. I just wanted to try to share my experience, because I realized that I was very landing-minded in that case. It might be due to how the IR is trained: We go missed regularly, but only ever after flying to the minimum of an approach, so you expect it. If something goes wrong before that, there is always an instructor to get you out of trouble, so you would always try to save your approach and not go missed. The instructor also is not interested to abort an approach before the minimums because then it “doesn’t count”. But when you fly alone in IMC all this doesn’t mean anything, all that counts is getting on the ground safely. That is where you should always be prepared to go missed if this happened to you in actual IMC, that is what I tried to convey.

Completely understandable and I appreciate the advice (too little IFR experience so such tips are always good). In this case I was completely aware that I might/will have the problem (as I had it on a previous flight) and I was there to try to analyze it better and understand the problem. VMC was actually a prerequisite for this flight.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Rwy20 wrote:

It might be due to how the IR is trained: We go missed regularly, but only ever after flying to the minimum of an approach, so you expect it. If something goes wrong before that, there is always an instructor to get you out of trouble, so you would always try to save your approach and not go missed.

Very good observation. At decision height there is indeed always a preparation to go missed, but if things go wrong earlier in the approach there is an instinctive will to salvage it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I’d be interested if that happenes with the 430W as well.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message