Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another nice one from Mr. Aviation 101

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It seems the student is a lot more proficient than the CFI :-)

Wrong ILS frequency read of chart, has to be told where left is, talking over ATC transmissions, unsure about approach speed setting…

EDDS, Germany

… anyway, great video, showing us how strange the situation is with being mostly not able to fly into EDDM and all that stuff in Europe.

I’d say you can fly into EDDM just fine, you just won’t be able to afford the bill ;-) Due to the massive wear and tear and effort that a Cessna causes, I’m sure.

Yes I love the video too, and the fact that flying into o’Hare in a 172 is completely acceptable over there, probably didn’t even cost them anything without parking or handling.

EDDS, Germany

I did Miami (KMIA) and New York La Guardia (KLGA) in 2010 with a Cesnna 152…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

I tried PPR with EDDM. It got rejected because they only want GA heavier than 2 tons. It didn’t matter that I wanted to arrive IFR and I am happy to fly the ILS at 160 kt until 3 miles out. The price would not have been that much different from eg EDDK (Cologne). On the other hand they seem to have great fun allowing eg a PA-28 do a low pass. So I don’t really understand their reasoning.

Frequent travels around Europe

I think because with > 2 tons they can charge and charge more.

Im sure they had a landing fee. Could be anywhere from $25 off peak to $125 on peak. Those were prices from a few years ago for other major US airports.

KHTO, LHTL

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

I tried PPR with EDDM. It got rejected because they only want GA heavier than 2 tons.

Would be interesting to know if you can get a PPR through a handling company…

I am no expert on EDDM but I guess with the long taxiways, big apron etc. it takes longer than to drive to EDMA and get into the air within minutes. I have several customers with GA planes over 2 tons in the Munich area and as far as I know all operate out of EDMA or in some cases EDMO. That must be for a reason.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I use EDMA not EDDM. Much cheaper and easier. You also have to ask yourself if you want to fly into EDDM. I got into a lot of these type of airports and personally find the taxiing quite stressful and usually lengthy. As Sebastian says, you will be on the autobahn in Augsburg before you get out of your plane at EDDM.

Last Edited by JasonC at 22 Aug 09:57
EGTK Oxford

I’ve been to EDMA and also to Schleissheim several times. MUCH more convenient except there are no rental cars at EDMA Augsburg on a Sunday. Taxi to the city is about 95 inbound and 130 outbound.

Frequent travels around Europe
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message