Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anti N-reg provisions - EASA FCL and post-brexit UK FCL

Having done the FAA IR to JAA IR conversion myself in 2011/2012, it is IMHO unlikely that any pilot will pass the JAA/EASA IR checkride (skills test) without quite a bit of flying with an IRI/IRE (or somebody) who knows the “protocol”. I had something like 1500 hrs at the time, a lot more than 50hrs as PIC under IFR, and it still took me 20+ hrs. You need to learn NDB holds and approaches, VOR approaches, and all approaches have to be hand flown. Autopilot and GPS can be used enroute only, on a UK skills test.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think the UK gold plates the NDB hold, but the rest of the drill is not too different standard to the US. In fact in some ways more pragmatic. You need an airways join and tracking, a hold, an ILS, a non-precision and unusual attitudes under limited panel, and a circling approach. IIRC in the US, in addition to the oral, you have to carry out an approach for all the serviceable radio NAV in the aircraft, which typically entails going to two or four different airports. Arguably the US has tighter PTS, with quarter deflection on the ILS.

Would agree that some hours practising the likely routes, and the concept of gates on the hold, would be a useful investment.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

You need an airways join and tracking, a hold, an ILS, a non-precision and unusual attitudes under limited panel, and a circling approach. IIRC in the US, in addition to the oral, you have to carry out an approach for all the serviceable radio NAV in the aircraft

Ugh! A lot things wrong there, Robert…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco always helpful to understand what is factually incorrect, only based on holding an IR since 1976.

The EASA IR checkride does not require partial panel. Nor does it require a circling approach to be flown.

The FAA IR checkride does not require an approach based on all the servicable radios on board.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jan 16:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Here’s the AOPA guide for the FAA tests

TEST GUIDE

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

boscomantico wrote:

The EASA IR checkride does not require partial panel.

I did Unusual Attitude recoveries on a partial panel in my EASA IR test in 2014. I did the same in my FAA IR check ride in 1995.

The FAA guy also switched the fuel off (for one engine) during an NDB approach during my test. That was realistic.

Last Edited by Neil at 28 Jan 17:08
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Bosco, agree no ICAO country seems to test partial panel (loss of pitot static, or partial loss), was not aware that limited panel (loss of gyros) was no longer required, I certainly had to undertake a limited panel in my last OPC (albeit not an initial check ride), and on my last FAA ride (all in the last six months).

On the examiner requiring that all serviceable radio NAV is used for an approach, this may be an urban myth, but again it was my experience in recent FAA rides. I’ll have to hunt down a PTS on this. As the examiner gets a flat fee, avoiding multiple airports/approaches must be economically rational?

So, getting back to the topic does anyone know when the draft posted here stating April 2017 for third country licences will be finalised ?

Probably March 2016

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message