Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Antwerp and Santander

Aeroplanes are not a desirable activity, and this gets worse the more south you go.

At least you get ATC service down there, which is more than can be said for the UK.

Other than that I’m with Bosco on the phoning ahead issue. Bad habit and only serves to annoy the people who run airports. In fact, this is counterproductive, as the various ARO guys have to conclude that pilots are unable / unwilling to read the AIP. Which, in turn, leads to more restrictions on GA. For crying out loud, what’s so difficult about flying to a commercial airport? I can understand (and do myself) phoning ahead to some small field with lots of gliders and / or meat bombing, but other than that, read the docs, file your flight plan and go.

Thank you for your answers.
According to AIP 1.1-4
3.1.6 Handling
It is mandatory that all operations, including those that are non-commercial, make the appropriate arrengements with the handling agencies in the destination airport, except the operators with an auto-handling agreement in the destina- tion airport and in compliance with the particular conditions in each airport (See AD-2, item 4, Handling services and facilities).
Should I really make arrangements with a handling agent?

Paris, France

A handling agency can also be the airport operations staff.

I didn’t previously realize that the Spanish AIP was such a snakepit, though…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Jul 15:11
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

May I suggest you check the AENA site? This tells you the arrangements for the various Spanish airports in some detail. IIRC, there is a doc on there that spells out the handling requirements.

When handling is required for a specific airport, it is stated in the AD section of the AIP corresponding to that airport. Usually in point 20

LECU - Madrid, Spain

to 172driver: I only call when the answer is NOT in the AIP.
The answers to the question I raised were not in the AIP

As I’ve flown to Santander several times since my first post here are the answers
Q1: Is the aerodrome PPR?
It seems that it can become PPR by NOTAM, but It was not when I flew there.

Q2: Is a handling agent mandatory?
Although they say yes in the AIP, in practice the answer is no. Unless you would have to park on a different apron than the GA one.

Q3: Where to park?
A follow me car will take you to the GA apron
It’s a hard surface apron. There are rings so that you can tie down your aircraft.
You may walk to the terminal on your own, it seems that one of you must wear a high visibility jacket.

Q4 Landing fees?
Should I pay my landing fee on arrival or can it wait until departure? Is it easy to pay or should I plan to wait?
I paid on departure. The first time they have to register you as a client, it takes around 30 mn. I paid with a Maestro card.
There is no C sign or any other clue to help you to find the office. Look for stairs in the terminal, it’s upstairs, a place called “flight planning”.
You can get some weather information, there is a computer that you may only use to file a flight plan, once filed, they will print it and rubber stamp it so that you can go back to your plane.
The price is around 50 euros plus 18 euros per day.

Q5: How do I get back to my plane?
To go airside back to your plane you must have a rubber stamped flight plan.
You will have to go through security but when you show your FPL they will allow you to keep your bottle of water (don’t know about your swiss knife), you will have to wait until someone can usher you to your plane. I never waited longer than 5 minutes.

Q6: Fuel?
On arrival before leaving frequency request the AVGAS truck, otherwise you can ask the marshaller, or call them (phone number in the AIP).
I never waited long before the truck comes, but the paperwork takes a long time. 1/2 hour in all on average for refuelling and paperwork.
They accept BP cards. They will want to know: IATA (not ICAO) code of destination, your tax number (even if you have a BP card), wether the flight is commercial or not, and if you intend to burn more than 50% of the fuel you uplift over spanish territory.

Q7 facilites?
A self service restaurant, a small souvenir shop etc. I could not find any way to get an internet access.

Q8 Language
The personnel I met spoke English, all of them were very professional and helpful.

Paris, France
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message