Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any issues connecting to EuroGA?

Peter wrote:

Yes but it can be non-expiring, and you create it yourself, for nothing.

Ah, Cloudflare will accept a self-signed cert? I see.

ELLX

Yes, terrible, terrible, terrible, that in the 21st century one can set up an https website without handing over a few hundred $ a year to the paragon of corporate trust called Verisign

Previously, people used to get free certs from some outfit in Israel, but they kept expiring and after you had to pay for half a day of some (reluctant) person’s life to sort out a new one each time…

Hmmm, perhaps I should encrypt all the traffic on my LAN here with AES1024

It wasn’t so long ago that both Eurocontrol sites crashed, because they used expiring certificates to encrypt inter-server links and somebody forgot to set up a “process” for making sure it was somebody’s job to keep them from expiring This happens regularly even in the biggest companies…

Simplicity is the way to go…

HTTPS is absolutely pointless for 99% of websites, but nowadays you get screwed from both ends, since google is downranking HTTP sites.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, no issues at all.

Peter wrote:

HTTPS is absolutely pointless for 99% of websites, but nowadays you get screwed from both ends, since google is downranking HTTP sites.

Well, quite a few providers and corporate ISP’s do not allow going onto non-https sites anymore. I had to upgrade mine to allow me to access my own site from certain places.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 09 Jun 09:44
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I read that but it is all trendy BS

Not at all. As far as I can see the Wikipedia page uses technical terms correctly and describes what a CDN is in a perfectly good way.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This afternoon I couldn’t connect to this site. It said too much traffic.

Germany

Yes; there was a problem for about half an hour.

I pressed the wrong button in one of the admin pages (was using a phone – never a good idea ) and it triggered some database search which doesn’t have an index, and that just hangs the server. No way to stop it either, short of rebooting it, which I didn’t want to do in case it breaks something.

Don’t ask me why it hangs – my hardware and software development has always been with real time systems where different tasks have their own thread but evidently web servers don’t work that way

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message