Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Any way to do RS232 dial up networking on Android (Samsung tablet)?

The latest I got from the developer of PPP Widget is this

You can create a simple dialling script though, using “chat” and “pppd” which should be on board of every Android device. There is plenty of information available about this

I have it at a stage where I have the Prolific terminal emulator program, and the PL2303HX cable going to a Hayes compatible modem (US Robotics Sportster Flash actually) and I can send it ATDTxxxxxxxCRLF and it dials out the phone number and makes the other phone ring, and obviously gets nowhere because there is no ISP there.

The RS232 emulation is completely wrong in the way it screws around with the RS232 hardware handshake signals. RTS has to be HIGH all the time otherwise the modem ignores the data. DTR has to be HIGH all the time otherwise the modem stays on-hook (I am aware this can be programmed on some models). So I had to wire up these signals externally, and the tablet does just RX and TX. It’s OK. Whoever wrote the terminal emulator didn’t know any of this.

For the Thuraya phone I will have to dig into chat and pppd… does anybody know this? I believe they are command line tools, so would need some kind of batch file.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message