Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Apple tell boss - you must only fly by private jet

I like the sentiment – BBC News

Rochester EGTO

If you take the cost of say 5 people (including some bodyguards carrying some “interesting items”) flying first class on an airline, plus the hassles of getting all that stuff authorised, a private jet is a no-brainer. Even without the weapons, the cost of say 5 first class tickets is in the same area as the DOC of a decent bizjet. If one assumes these execs are not going to fly on a cheap airline, a bizjet is a great business tool.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m surprised it’s not the case already.

I don’t think Mr. Cook has been spotted at the Southwest check-in counters in recent years…. slow news day.

Try that in Germany (use a corporate business jet for personal travel), and you will be put in jail.

However he seems to have been using company assets for private flying, without paying for it. In the UK that would be called Benefit in Kind and the Revenue here just absolutely love hitting businessmen with it, regardless of the merit of the case, because most businessmen don’t care about justice and are happy to write a cheque to get the taxman off his back, no matter how much of a foul taste it leaves in the mouth. OTOH there are defences against such an attack. Any of them would involve the beneficiary paying for the benefit, and it may be cheaper for him/her to rent somebody else’s jet, go via Netjets, etc. I know one exec who has made an agreement his his taxman, based on some small % of the company jet airtime being private, and he pays for that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Even more reason to be self employed. Then they can all go stuff themselves with their rules.

I saw it parked at an airfield in northern Europe a few months ago… reg …. N1N … arrived from California with 1POB

He (Tim Cook) has also been asked to use private jets for personal transport as well. I suppose that if you are a high profile person it makes a lot of sense. There’s a lot of personal input regarding use of aircraft for corporate/personal use as with a lot of decisions in life. I believe that Marks and Spencer sold their King Air when Stuart Rose left. I think that Stuart Rose has a pilot’s licence.

Rochester EGTO

WillC wrote:

I think that Stuart Rose has a pilot’s licence

I have seen him at Calais in a Cirrus

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message