Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Approaching head-on & magnetic flight level (360/180°)

gallois wrote:

So your only alternative would be mandatory ADSB in and out as in the USA.
Do you think all aircraft owners in Europe will go for that?

The US requirement is ADS-B OUT in the same limited areas where a transponder has long been mandated for most planes. ADS-B IN is not mandatory, but is so easy and inexpensive to buy in non-certified, portable form that it’s widely used.

I’ve been in two situations where head collision looked likely and in both instances I rolled the plane on its side to the right and closed the throttle.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Apr 15:14

Fortunately I have only had 2 near misses, both below 3000ft where the semi circular rule did not apply. I saw neither until the last minute, both had given innacurate position reports.
To this day I don’t know, how on each occasion we managed to miss each other.

France

I’ve had a few near misses, all in the L.A. area – unsurprisingly, given the traffic volume here – and all below 3000ft AGL, where the semi-circular rule doesn’t apply. On two occasions ADS-B saved me, one of them in a manner I doubt I’d be here to write this without it. Above 3000ft AGL you stick to the semi-circular altitudes and nothing bad will happen. In 23 years of flying, much of it x-country, I never came even close to a near miss while en-route.

In any case, isn’t that a moot point in the UK? 90+% of VFR traffic there seems to operate way down around 1000-2000 ft AGL where the rule doesn’t apply anyway.

172driver wrote:

isn’t that a moot point in the UK? 90+% of VFR traffic there seems to operate way down around 1000-2000 ft AGL where the rule doesn’t apply anyway.

What tends to happen is that most light GA fly either:

• at one of these three altitudes: 2000, 2500, 3000
  • OR: just 100 ft below the cloud base when the base is below 3000’

So if you avoid those levels it’s almost impossible to have a mid-air while EN-ROUTE. And as soon as you are on top of clouds there is NO ONE else there.

I once flew with a time-builder who had something like 120 hours or so, when I encouraged him to climb above a layer of FEW/SCT clouds at 3000’ to be on top of it at 5000’ he said he had NEVER EVER flown at “such high altitudes”. And he wouldn’t have done it if it wasn’t me encouraging him. This seems to be the typical mindset.

EDDW, Germany

gallois wrote:

So your only alternative would be mandatory ADSB in and out as in the USA.

ADS-B is not mandatory in the USA except in high volume traffic areas, B, C, or above 10000 MSL. So if you remain clear of the B’s and C’s and below 10000 MSL, there isn’t a mandate. Most of the US airspace is below 10000 MSL (2500 AGL). Also the US mandate is only for ADS-B Out. ADS-B In is not mandated.

Stay out of the red or yellow areas in the US and below 10,000 MSL (2500 AGL) and ADS-B is not required, neither is a transponder.

KUZA, United States
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message