Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Arcachon LFCH

Since some time ago, I have had in mind to visit Arcachon, and probably I will give it a try any weekend during the next month.

From what I’ve seen so far, it seems to have some handicaps: several restricted areas around, a lot of activities including gliders and model aeroplanes, the apparent need to use one specific transponder code (7056) not mentioned in the AIP plate, an automated message (Répondeur Automatique d’Information) from Cazaux App when the freq is not attended (weekends?) that it’s not clear for me whether it’s only in French or not, etc… so any advices from locals or forumites that have already flown there will be really welcome.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Arcachon was featured here.

A fantastic place. It’s straightforward. Don’t worry.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I believe @Michael, @foxalpha and @Romain were there recently

Activation status of LF-R31 is available from several ATS services including Cazaux APP, Arcachon Info and Aquitaine Info. The specific transponder code concerns A/C arriving from or departing towards VRP W when LF-R31 and is mentioned on the VAC. AFIS appears to be English also and has generous opening hours (MON-SUN 08-18 Z) during the summer season. Outside AFIS hours A/A is FR only.

I do not know specifically what the automated message on the Cazaux APP freq says in the absence of ATS or whether it is broadcasted also in English, but I would not worry about it. It probably just informs you that LF-R31 is not active, transit is approved, overflying the Cazaux AD is not allowed below 1000 ft and do A/A communication on such-and-such frequency. They have the same thing at Evreux LFOE, but I cannot remember whether the message is in English in addition to French. If you have done your due diligence and studied the terms of LF-R31 in the AIP which states that overflying Cazaux AD below 1000 ft is forbidden, you should be OK. The automated message is not mentioned on the VAC.

The VAC explicitly states that Arcachon Info knows about glider activity (winch launches).

I would not let myself be intimidated by this, especially with a moving map GPS for better positional awareness. All you need to know is in the AIP (VAC and description of LF-R)

LFPT, LFPN

I agree with boscomantico. Great place. Looks difficult before, is easy in reality. I heard, that nearby the field someone rents the old 2CV. To get real french feeling of the old days you should ask for it. On the field they will know.

EDDS , Germany

Definitely, Arcachon is a lovely destination. Don’t forget to visit the “Dune du Pilat”
You can perform an IFR approach to Bordeaux Merignac (LFBD), then switch VFR to Arcachon (about 10 minutes)

Last Edited by foxalpha at 11 May 17:52
Pontoise - LFPT

I’ve never been there by plane, so cannot comment on the aerodrome. But if you spend some time on the ground, I recommend to go to Cap Ferret and try some huitres from the local producers such as Catherine Roux.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Thanks to everybody for the info and advices.

Seems that renting one of those 2CV is a must

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Coolhand wrote:

Seems that renting one of those 2CV is a must

We have been at Arcachon last year. Asking the nearby car rental shop for a 2 CV was quite disappointing, they offer only Diane for 50 Euro/day, not bad but no 2CV.

Berlin, Germany

Just for information :

Saucats (LFCS) is 10 minutes away.
Landing and parking free.
Avgas 1.75 € per litre.

If you need a local contact for Saucats or Arcachon please do send me a PM :)

Cazaux is normally closed at the weekend. If you head inland towards Bordeaux, do be aware of the MARC zones just to the southwest of the Bordeaux CTR, where controlled airspace now starts at 1000 ft as opposed to 1500ft.

Best,
James

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message