Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Arrogant Bose (broken plastic parts, and how to get them repaired)

That’s why I stick with Lightspeed. Exceptional service, even after five years of use of a headset.

EDMA, Germany

I bought Lightspeed Zulus based on the reputation of the company, but after trying Boses in a friends plane I was somewhat surprised to find that the Lightspeeds fit substantially more comfortably and sound the same. I’ve never liked playing extra for a trendy name in any case, so the whole situation wiht the Lightspeeds is better for me.

Peter wrote:

But no way could one use them in any “club” environment or when taking ad-hoc passengers for flights.

I rent helicopters for work on a fairly regular basis and almost all of them are fitted with Boses. So they must be able to handle serial ad-hoc charter situations. A ‘club’ or ‘school’ setup would be a different beast, of course. My Bose-X have been going strong for 10 years now, had one mic assemble replacement (that included a general tuneup, new earcups, etc) that was done in the US at a – reasonable – fixed price. Weirdly, this was not available in Europe (I was still living in the UK at the time). YMMV.

On a separate note, @Ptlak. If this is such a simple part, why don’t you have it 3D printed? Probably the quickest solution.

chwinter wrote:

That’s why I stick with Lightspeed. Exceptional service, even after five years of use of a headset.

My Sennheiser ANR headset is now over 10 years old. Apart from replacing the ear cushions once (which I could do myself with easily available spares) it has not required any maintenance and is as good as new. Unfortunately they surrendered to the competition and don’t make pilot’s headset any longer.

EDDS - Stuttgart

You guys should try the AKG AV100 ANR headsets. They’re really light and I think they’re excellent. Probably easier to service in Europe as well.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Probably easier to service in Europe as well.

As they are coming from Austria, it should! For my taste, the AV100 is a bit too large. If they come up with a smaller version one day that might be a replacement for my trusted Sennheiser (which was brought to it’s absolute limit by the two Garret engines of the Metroliner I once flew for a while).

EDDS - Stuttgart

@Pytlak
I had the same problem and repaired it with glue plus a steel wire tie (my first glue only repair broke with a rear passenger having to hold the ear cup on her ear for the whole trip).

Jean
EBST, Belgium

ASP Avionics in Beglium is an Euopean service center for Bose headsets.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I have with Bose (ASP Avionics) very good experience warranty and also after warranty repairs.
With AKG service not so good experience.

G3x
LKKU, Czech Republic

3D printing is not a bad idea at all but I do not have access to reasonable 3D printer. I tried to 3D print a small part some time ago but the result was not having reasonable resolution and the part was thus unusable. When I say that it is just a piece of plastic, I mean that it is easy and cheap to produce once you have appropriate mould. So the only chance is to get the part from the manufacturer. I think they should sell them separately, especially when the part tends to break so often.

LKHK, Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message