Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Asking for trouble, the Piaggio Avanti

I first became interested in the Avanti in 2020, and it took four attempts to find the right one.

The first one was an Avanti II in the USA. I made the trip. It had prior hail damage, the interior had a brown colour scheme, and the plane was in bad shape overall. I resigned.

The second one was an Evo in Singapore. Very good condition. Unfortunately, a team from Germany sent for the PPI found a leaky AUX tank. I resigned and lost my deposit. Ouch.

The third one was a nice Evo, but just before signing the LOI with an “NDH” clause, the seller remembered it had a tail strike. Resigned.

Then came along the fourth one. 2019 Evo with 990 hours and an auxiliary tank. Perfect spec and recent vintage. It was still on the factory airframe program and warranty. Engines on a program, too. I didn’t hesitate and bought it.

I plan to fly this plane non-stop between EPPO and LPFR, at least on non-windy days. It should cover the distance in an hour and a half more than the Learjet, burning 30% less fuel.

After flying in the CAT regime, I am looking forward to the freedom of NCO. No management organisation, no dispatch, no copilot. Short runways, steep approaches and hand flying

I expect not to fly it too much, so I’m dropping the programs. I am also prepared for longer maintenance because parts are not available for shipping the next day as they were with the Lear.

I will be starting the type rating on Monday. It will probably be a year before I can give a proper opinion on the type. I don’t have any pictures yet, but you can see the plane here:

See you at the fly-ins

Last Edited by loco at 11 Nov 08:56
LPFR, Poland

Congratulations! Living the life!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Congratulations.

Yotube‘s Owen just recently did two interesting videos on it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very nice @loco , congrats. Good to see you back flying. Show it to us on a fly-in!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Congratulations!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Should be fun to fly. I love to unconventional approach. When I did initial flight training at Roskilde (Copenhagen..) airport back in 95-95´ we used to see the Beechcraft Starship all the time – way ahead of it´s time.. But then again – what time ;-)
Enjoy the course and maybe catch ya in Portugal!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

loco wrote:

See you at the fly-ins

Sure hope so – that’s a very cool aircraft!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Congratulations, that’s a nice one!

Yeager wrote:

back in 95-95´ we used to see the Beechcraft Starship

That’s another cute aircraft, one of the few remaining in service is based at EPRU

Poland

very nice plane, appears to be very quiet…. (from inside). ACtually I have 2 regular avanti leaving Nice to Germany each Sunday, and everytime they fly over my place, I can tell by the volume of the noise it can only be an Avanti.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

very nice plane, appears to be very quiet…. (from inside). ACtually I have 2 regular avanti leaving Nice to Germany each Sunday, and everytime they fly over my place, I can tell by the volume of the noise it can only be an Avanti.

Many pushers have this interesting sound signature due to the prop hitting the moving air coming over the wing, I’m told.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message