Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC issue a clearance in Class A for a VFR flight

visual approach is under IFR (and does not require VMC)

Another thread which will run to 100 posts before getting locked.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But you were incorrectly correcting a correct statement, that can go for ages…

Apparently, we both said visual approach is done under IFR in Alpha and does not require Alpha VMC, which part in this statement need correction?

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Apr 13:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You have to land eventually, and a visual approach is a valid way to do that (if the MET conditions meet the requirements on the plate, or those in your AOC OPS manual) so the issue of whether ATC incorrectly cleared you to do that in Class A, is not relevant to the topic.

Maybe I should have said

“ATC issue an illegal clearance in Class A for a VFR enroute flight – what should I do”

but I thought that was obvious. ATC cannot legally clear a VFR flight into Class A. End of story – unless there is some specific permission, like the ceremonial Spitfire overflight case.

But they do sometimes do it. Why and how – that is the question.

Peripheral to this – and not for this thread – is stuff like this.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Why and how – that is the question.

And also what are the potential consequences to the pilot for accepting such clearance.

I guess this would only ever be relevant in the event that something “bad” happened. Say a loss of separation between the VFR in Class A and a nearby IFR. Somebody will be asking the question “what was that VFR doing there in the first place?”.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 14 Apr 13:57
EDDW, Germany

Ibra wrote:

I really doubt it? you won’t be able to cancel IFR and fly VFR in Alpha anyway

I did this last week approaching EHRD while in Amsterdam TMA class A. I requested to do a VFR arrival instead of going 10 nm in the wrong direction for the ILS 06. They cancelled IFR while still in class A and asked me to descend. There’s no other way to do it because the shelf extends below MVA.

EHRD, Netherlands

They cancelled IFR while still in class A and asked me to descend.

And why didn’t they issue clearance for visual approach instead?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

They cancelled IFR

“They” cannot cancel IFR. Only the pilot can do that

Administrator

They cancelled IFR while still in class A and asked me to descend

Of course, that is an ATC abuse when you go on Yankee flight plan, I recall Dutch ATC did the same to me, AMS ATC cancelled my IFR in IMC while I was in Alpha TMA (well above MSA/MVA and far away from Yankee IFR/VFR transition), go figure !

Next time YOU ask to cancel IFR at FL80 and cruise across TMA VFR?

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Apr 07:48

Peter wrote:

“They” cannot cancel IFR. Only the pilot can do that

Ibra wrote:

Of course, that is an ATC abuse when you go on Yankee flight plan, I recall Dutch ATC did the same to me, AMS ATC cancelled my IFR in IMC while I was in Alpha TMA (well above MSA/MVA and far away from Yankee IFR/VFR transition), go figure !

To clarify, about 20 min out I notified them I wanted to do a VFR arrival instead of the ILS 06. I was not on a Y plan, but it was good weather and I didn’t want the overhead of an unnecessary approach from the wrong direction. They “forgot” this request and later started to vector me for what seemed like the ILS, so I reminded them of my intention. I was at 3000, so well above the shelf. After a few minutes they informed me IFR was cancelled and to descend. So it wasn’t totally by the book, in the sense that I didn’t specifically request or confirm cancellation at that precise moment, but my intent was clear and obvious.

Emir wrote:

And why didn’t they issue clearance for visual approach instead?

Because I asked specifically for a VFR arrival, which was the most convenient option given my position.

EHRD, Netherlands

To clarify, about 20 min out I notified them I wanted to do a VFR arrival instead of the ILS 06

You don’t have to cancel for that, you can ask for visual approach (all done under IFR)

In my case, I was flying to Breda on Yankee, I had to switch IFR/VFR somewhere, definitely not when ATC decided it to be, at 4500ft with 30nm to run (I was told IFR cancelled, contact Dutch Mil while I was hoping to fly IFR all the way to Breda circuit or at least to overhead or at least to the filed IFR/VFR transition, ceiling was at 1300ft)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Apr 08:16
Sign in to add your message