Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autopilot upgrade in a Robin - administrative / certification questions

Peter wrote:

Right… and a 253 is from around 1970, I think? Did Robin ever make servo mounts for those?

There are plenty of these around for a 253 which someone would be delighted to get running

As often, “Threads possibly related to this one” below are fun reading…

Thanks Peter, indeed the 253 is from 1967-1972 if I am not mistaken. Mine was built in 1971. Not sure whether there are “plenty” of Badin Crouzet autopilots out there. I also have a spare (received from the previous owner together with the aircraft). My reasoning, though, was that removing the Badin Crouzet + vacuum system I could potentially save weight and at the same time get a modern, 2-axis autopilot.

And yes, I read the “threads related to this one”… not so fun. Robins are great machines but the fact that they never have been certified by the FAA certainly limits avionics options!

etn
EDQN, Germany

The question of A/Ps on the DR250 was discussed on Jodel.fr some years ago. I remember there being some interesting comments, but at the time I was looking for something else.
Is your Badin Crouzet servo box under the seat with simple connections to the ailerons and elevators?
Someone here ( I admit they are a RSA member so mainly involved with building) suggested you approach an OSAC office and see if they have given any A/P approvals for the DR253 or if they can suggest a way around the problem.
I am told Badin Crouzet is still sort of going under the umbrella of a much larger avionics organisation. I will try and find out more.

France

Do a search and you will find lots of material. Like this.

The name Crouzet still exists; they make various industrial automation bits like limit switches. They are one of countless French companies which go back 50-100 years, whose parts were designed-in by French GA aircraft manufacturers, and which have gradually gone bust, or been taken over by some US company which then rationalised their product range causing huge grief to the aircraft owners. Socata are enduring constant pain via this, which would have been mostly avoided had they bought off the shelf (and much cheaper) US parts, and this is reflected in some crazy parts prices which are hard to avoid given European airfield/maintenance politics. The French parts are often nicely engineered and one can see the preference; it’s just a hostage to fortune commercially and IMHO a lot of the choices are more a result of working in a secluded community.

For sure it is possible to repair these if you are very good at electronics and mechanicals. Anything can be repaired, but you would have to do it all off the books. I have a big A4 ring binder which I got from one previous 253 owner (whose plane was famously abandoned in a maintenance company when an avionics upgrade went disastrously wrong). I ought to convert it to a PDF… it’s full of beautiful drawings, like those one sees of the Titanic.

I don’t think the system is heavy, in the context of varying human weight

It would not surprise me if there is some old guy in France who repairs these, unofficially… I know I could easily do it, but obviously I could not do it for someone else.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It would not surprise me if there is some old guy in France who repairs these, unofficially

If that’s the case – I have no idea – then a few questions around the local aeroclubs will find him. The French private aviation world is tiny and everyone knows everyone else.

LFMD, France

Certainly a few questions around the airfields and in the clubs might find someone. The problem is that there are only a few clubs with DR 200’s and DR253s and there are 40,000 + members in those clubs. Perhaps visiting some airfields or attending some of the fly ins and open days might yield better results.
The Badin Crouzet is installed in many aircraft such as Robins, Rallyes, Reims Cessna 172s even some Aztecs have them.

France

Peter wrote:

I have a big A4 ring binder which I got from one previous 253 owner (whose plane was famously abandoned in a maintenance company when an avionics upgrade went disastrously wrong). I ought to convert it to a PDF…

Peter, making a PDF of this document would be invaluable to me and certainly to other 253 owners. Can we work out a way to create a PDF?
One option is sending it to me, I scan it and I send it back to you afterwards. Goal is to make it available to the community.
Alternatively if you prefer to keep it and do the work yourself (or by a dedicated professional service) I am willing to contribute to the cost.
We can work out the details in pm (including personal details, etc. so you know where to find me!)

Thanks,
Etienne

etn
EDQN, Germany

gallois wrote:

The question of A/Ps on the DR250 was discussed on Jodel.fr some years ago. I remember there being some interesting comments, but at the time I was looking for something else.
Is your Badin Crouzet servo box under the seat with simple connections to the ailerons and elevators?
Someone here ( I admit they are a RSA member so mainly involved with building) suggested you approach an OSAC office and see if they have given any A/P approvals for the DR253 or if they can suggest a way around the problem.

Thanks, good idea, will check that also. My bird is registered in Germany but asking the OSAC is possible. I have friends in the French RSA scene too, I’ll ask them also.

The servo box is indeed under the seat as you describe. It’s a factory install, not a retrofit. (I wish it were 2-axes, maybe I can retrofit the 2nd??)

Last Edited by etn at 19 Aug 15:27
etn
EDQN, Germany

One option is sending it to me, I scan it and I send it back to you afterwards. Goal is to make it available to the community.

Funnily enough I have recently sent it to someone and he has just returned it. So if you PM me your address I can send it to you. I don’t know how complete it is or even the scope of what is in it. Some of the pages in it are quite large though not A1 IIRC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

While ago we done one glass cockpit upgrade (2018.) one Reims C172 the stack consist
of 2 x G5, GMU11, GAD29 (supposed to interface to old Century IIA 2 axis autopilot), GTN750,
and ADSB out on Trig TT31. The old Century can be interfaced but some of vacum devices
like giro directional must be left. Decision taken that vacum must go out.
With some consultation in Koeln the process of alternative STC shortcut was started for one known
actuator and auto pilot brand. Unfortunately the plane was destroyed by storm on ground on 1/3 stage
of paperwork process.
Now days with some relaxation of Part 21 light for general aviation must be possible to do that even
better.
The must is to have at last some Part 145 in assistance (Part 21 even better) to have some engineering backup.

PS you can always go this way too => https://www.portapilot.com/

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 19 Aug 16:03
Croatia

Found this online :

I concur with what others wrote. I know a club whose DR250 still has a generator and they have no easy way to fit an alternator instead.

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message