Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics installation/replacement without STC/change approval (based on a TC installation)

Peter wrote:

Here is a post on a US site from a US avionics shop, concerning a KAP150 installation in a TB20, which confirms what I have been saying (it is one of countless examples I have seen over years)

Yes, The KAS-297B preselector and KEA-130A can be added. At least in the FAA domain this would be a minor alteration requiring only a logbook entry, since it is a standard option for the TB20.
For some reason “Europe” sometimes chooses to add additional layers

I was avoiding this thread but once again mis-information is being spread. The installation of the KAS297B and KEA130A in the TB is to an FAA STC owned by Honeywell/Bendix-King, so the full data package exists and is available to the field-installer. The installation does not require any interpretation or adaption of the data from the aircraft maintenance manuals or parts catalogue, as the STC is a fully-approved data source. This isn’t the same as the argument for doing something just because the TC holder had done it themselves and you try to do the same without the full design data.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

The installation of the KAS297B and KEA130A in the TB is to an FAA STC owned by Honeywell/Bendix-King, so the full data package exists and is available to the field-installer.

That’s a very good point, but the TC holder may not have followed the King STC. They have no need to follow any STC; they have full authority to do all this in-house.

For example Socata did not follow the Shadin flow totaliser STC. They mounted the transducer elsewhere. Hilariously their installation didn’t work properly and one had to modify it IAW the STC to fix it (not possible overtly on EASA-reg AFAIK)

In this case one could have retrofitted the KAS297B and KEA130A as a Major Alteration, ignoring the TC and using the STC. But that’s really a different scenario (to discover there is an alternative STC route).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi for everyone!

Recently I purchased a Cessna C-152 with low IFR capable. Now I would like to add a DME equipment to the current avionics group. The question would be that if I purchase a King KN 62 DME do I have to entrust a Part-21 ( DOA) organisation to make me an STC for installation or may I entrust a local Part-145 organisation to whom has approval for NAV insatllation? Or what kind of approvals do I need??? It would be really urgent to know what kind of possibilities I have.

Thank you in advance for your help

43 Posts
Sign in to add your message