Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avweb video on aircraft engine development history

Really interesting, very well informed, accurate, and there is a funny bit at 12:05

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But did he say anything we didn’t already know?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Not everybody knows everything…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It’s called a history lesson.

EBST, Belgium

I am a big lycoming guy and only because it is the only engine I have ever owned in my airplanes and had time to read about.
this is a great video summarizing everything that has been tried and happening around aircraft engines.

Switzerland

I really liked it. And I was surprised to see that the engines coming from the car industry were also not bringing many advantages (most of the time they are heavy and the BSFC is still in the same range).

Does it mean there has been no real improvement in this category of engine?
All the ÉCU, FADEC or electronic ignition are just another level of complexity without benefit?

EDMG, Germany

Valtime wrote:

the time they are heavy and the BSFC is still in the same range

Valtime wrote:

All the ÉCU, FADEC or electronic ignition are just another level of complexity without benefit

The reason that aviation engines are reasonably efficient at cruise is that they have been optimised for a narrow RPM range – ignition and valve timings are set up to be efficient around cruise RPM. Ignition advance when lean of peak could make them a little bit more efficient than they already are.

They are horribly inefficient at, say, 1200 RPM, but that is irrelevant overall, other than a car engine which has to be efficient over a wide RPM range

Biggin Hill

Spot on.

However I think much of the small improvement when LOP is achieved by using a lower RPM – equivalent to advancing the ignition.

So, like the chap in the video says, the scope for coming up with something substantially better is small – except in application spheres which are small (in the US, which is what matters) e.g. diesels don’t need avgas.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Enjoyed the EuroGA plug at 12:05 :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

What the training industry needs the robust airframe of a spamcam mated to a modern engine.

Anyone for a PA28-140 with the Rotax 915?

Last Edited by Bathman at 18 May 14:40
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message