Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Basing a Piper Turbo Arrow III in Germany

If you bring the plane you have to make sure you get the import procedure right. Usually importing it will cost you 19% on the full value of the aircraft (import VAT). But there are exceptions if the plane is part of your belongings once you move permanently. But that needs to be sorted properly or it can end beeing very expensive.

Do not simply fly the plane over as if it was here on transit. That will initially work but end up custing you a fortune and create legal trouble. Make sure it is really imported properly!

Ask your insurance about basing the plane in Germany. Maybe you will end up needing a local insurance. It will probably not cost much more than what you pay now.

As already written explore if you will need an EASA license. Unless there is an exemption for NATO/US staff I fear you will need it. Initially probably nobody will care but if an accident happens somebody will ask. As you are making a living in aviation you do not want such legal trouble.

Then once you move back to the US you can consider selling the plane in Europe. Due to its imported status it might be worth quite a bit more than in the US. So maybe selling and getting another one in the US might be an option.

Also explore the details of the initial ferry flight. This is not an easy flight to do in a PA28 so if at all it is probably only possible during summer. Would your insurance cover that flight etc. and what is the cost associated with that mission. Or maybe it could be shipped in a container if you have somebody who can package it properly for you in the US.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

As already written explore if you will need an EASA license. Unless there is an exemption for NATO/US staff I fear you will need it. Initially probably nobody will care but if an accident happens somebody will ask

I agree, but I have never heard of this being checked or enforced, since Brussels came out with this c. 2011. Many discussions here… In this case I suspect the guy only has to pull out his US passport or Green Card and anybody trying will back off because it will suddenly become extremely complicated.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bearing in mind you are working for the US government on temporary (all be it 3 years assigment) I think my first port of call would be to look into whether or not you can have “temporary import” for that length of time. It used to be possible for a year or 18 months IIRC, although you may have to pay a bond. It used to be called a carnet.
The bond being an insurance policy to ensure you take the item out of the country again once its import term is complete.
The bond certainly would be a lot less than the VAT or at least it used to be.
You then fly on your FAA papers as a visitor.

France
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message