Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Basing aircraft in EU after export out of EU

You’ve maybe seen my other thread about basing a experimental aircraft registered in one country in another country. This thread is about the customs POV (EU vs. outside EU).

The Swiss customs authorities tell me that with a Swiss residence, I have to import the plane into Switzerland, even if it’s stationed outside of the country. (Except I never plan to touch down in Switzerland.) Now, if I import the plane into Switzerland (i.e., pay customs and VAT), that means I have to export it from the EU customs area, right?

So if the plane is exported from the EU customs area, may I still physically station and operate it in the EU customs area (hangar it in France or Germany) without limitations?

If not, then this would result in a quite absurd, unsolvable situation.

(BTW, is there a way the airplane can be part of both Swiss and EU customs areas at the same time?)

Last Edited by Zorg at 10 Feb 13:55
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

If the plane is HB registered you can reach a deal to station it in France as long as it leaves the territory at least once in six months.

@Shorrick_Mk2 It will probably be F-P registered (but customs paid in Switzerland).

The deal would be with whom?

To restate my two main concerns:

May I hangar it in France? (I’ll regularly fly into Switzerland.)

Will ramp checks in the EU raise any paperwork issues?

Thanks!

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

The deal would be with the French customs. I know people who park a HB plane year-long in Annecy like that. With a HB tail nobody will give you paperwork hassle.

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message