Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belgian TRA TSA zone transits

Likewise. One gets conditioned by the UK custom and practice of restricted areas being treated as de facto prohibited areas.

Last Edited by Mark_B at 07 Apr 20:22
EGCJ, United Kingdom

One gets conditioned by the UK custom and practice of restricted areas being treated as de facto prohibited areas.

That’s true but one cannot be entirely general about the non-UK situation. In France for example many (most?) D areas are prohibited, and while ATC will usually clear you through CAS they will assume you are taking care of the D etc bits. IIRC, same in Spain. But in both of these countries they tend to be inactive on weekends – and I suspect it is this weekend inactivity which together with most people flying abroad (from the UK) on weekends is responsible for so many reports of there being nothing active

When I used to fly long VFR trips, the routing situation was totally different on weekdays.

But for Belgium the “fait accompli method” seems to work well enough.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In France for example many (most?) D areas are prohibited

False. A brief look into the AIP, GEN 5.1 would enlighten you.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t make stuff up. This is what I found flying there.

Administrator

It is false. Of course, ATC or FIS will, if you are in radio contact with them, sometimes steer you away from them, for your own safety. But that’s not the point. You are still allowed to fly through them, even non-radio.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Apr 20:51

It is false. Of course, ATC or FIS will, if you are in radio contact with them, sometimes steer you away from them, for your own safety. But that’s not the point. You are still allowed to fly through them, even non-radio.

So, if ATC tells you to avoid some zone, you are going to say “screw you, the AIP says I can fly through it”?

I don’t think so.

You can in theory fly through many of the UK ones too. It depends on various details… the byelaw (if there is one) relating to it, etc.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

France for example many (most?) D areas are prohibited

I can’t think of one.
Could you give us one example?

Last Edited by Guillaume at 07 Apr 22:02

Peter wrote:

ATC tells you to avoid some zone, you are going to say “screw you, the AIP says I can fly through it”?

In theory yes, you could.
Is it sensible ? No.

The last time I flew VFR within France was 2014 and I was told to keep clear of R138. Also there is extensive military airspace all over the place – even on an IFR flight at FL150 one never gets a clearance through it. I am not going to argue with ATC, unless my safety is in question

What category these zones are I don’t know.

Administrator

R138

A good one
Talk was about “D” areas…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Apr 05:38
Sign in to add your message